Lateral Ties for Joists?

I

iDIY

In the attached diagram from a NHBC page the ideal world scenario is that the top of the joists align with the top of the adjacent block work. In my real world scenario, the height of the joists is set by where they attached to an RSJ which is set atop padstones and as a result they do not align with the top of adjacent block work at point A.
2DC12336-4A47-4F32-BB80-08B9885744AD.png

This means the lateral ties can’t just hook over the top of the block work on an existing mortar line.

Is the accepted solution to cut one block down to create a mortar line at the lateral tie level or as there a better solution?

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't line up it doesn't take too much messing around to get you to the point where it would be quicker to resin-fix a wall plate to hang the joists from and then fix your lateral restraint to that.

Sponsored Links
I always wonder how come old constructions (70/80 years old) survived without strapping, hangers and all other hardware so essential nowadays.
I have stripped properties with 6 metre joists with 2 noggings, no straps, cemented into brickwork, no hardware whatsoever.
Roofs without one single piece of metal apart from 4 inch nails clearly banged in by hammer.
How come they don't collapse and in fact it is much more difficult to dismantle them than a newer construction?

Natural selection, the ones that had issues have had repairs, the ones that got away with it are still sure standing.
Nowadays houses are designed to a spec that guarantees they will be good to the building regs. Back then it was a bit more hi and miss. Hence all the people living in 20s and 30s houses with damp, mould, and cracks that come and go with the seasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back