Bricking up to joists? With sketch jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've built a block wall and I'm up to the last course of blocks some 3 metres high .... no problem there as it's very stable and tied into the adjacent wall.

My question is ... the last course of blocks which run at a right angle to the joists will not fit - What should I do?

Ok, so I can get out my angle grinder and slice 3" off the block leaving 6" and slide it under the joist on a bed of mortar BUT wont the small movements in the joist over time weaken the top course of blocks?

The wall is structural as it need to support the joists .

Here is a sketch.( Edit: Bigger sketch)
wallmv6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Joists dont move. They may shrink a tiny bit, but nothing major.

You could put in a timber wall plate.

Rather than slice your blocks you could use a couple of courses of bricks and judiciously adjust the mortar bed thickness.

....or you could build up the masonry to within a few millimeters of the joist underside and use cement board packers or any stable packing material to finally support them.

Sponsored Links
I quite like the idea of filling the space between the joists and the top of the wall with a length of 6" timber. It can be fixed at both ends with wall plates and also attached to the joists (if required).

Take the point about very little movement of the joists. It's just the thought of these heavy concrete blocks sitting on a 10cm wide bed of mortar some 3 metres up.

Timber shrinkage and expansion is almost entirely in the thickness (give or take some "diamonding" of square sections). Length is almost completely unchanged and movement is negligible.

Vibration from heavy people trampling on the floors can be accommodated by a timber wallplate.

although the timber wall plate suggestion is an excellent one, just make sure that you don't need to carry on the masonry to the underside of the first floor decking material.
if the space on the other side of the wall was a garage then you would (under b.r.) need to firebreak the void. building on top of a wall plate would be a bit awkward.

noseall said:
although the timber wall plate suggestion is an excellent one, just make sure that you don't need to carry on the masonry to the underside of the first floor decking material.
if the space on the other side of the wall was a garage then you would (under b.r.) need to firebreak the void. building on top of a wall plate would be a bit awkward.

The wall will separate the ground floor flat's bathroom and the stairwell for the 1st floor flat.

Would the combination of timber, glasswool and plasterboard meet regulations? (see sketch)
wall2mk6.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back