lath and plaster ceiling

sos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The back bedroom in my old (1880) terrace house has been split so there is now a smaller bedroom, a shower room and some cupboards. I have just stripped off all the lining paper in the smaller bedroom from the walls and ceiling and have found that the ceiling is losing its key in places.

Some parts are ok, a bit has been skimmed after a chimney stack has been removed. To get this right do I need an expert? Can I pull down just the weak areas? I've heard I can use plaster board.... If anyone has advice I would be gratefull as I have a baby on the way and need to get this right quickly and cheaply. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You can fit plasterboards over old ceiling but you would have to know where the ceiling joists are for fixing the screws to and any water pipe or electric cable above.If it for the walls you can dots & dabs.See this..

If it just the plaster skimmed damaged then you can repair it with plaster.

Thanks for the reply and the link.

I can't get access to the space above the ceiling so it may be hard to know where the joists are.

I don't know if it is the plaster or the lath that is damaged - would you advise recommend just chipping off some of the plaster that is cracked and sagging to see if the lath is still intact? This is the only way I can think I will know what the real damage is or find the joists if needed.

Yes , you can break some of it away to see what you've got.If it plasterboard you can cut out a section and renew.If it the original lath/plaster in 1880 then chances are the plaster which interlock into the lath will be like dry powder and brittle,so either make goods with plaster or if it for the baby room I would take it down and renew with plaster board or put in a false ceiling below it with framework + plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Hi , Leave the old ceiling in place , find the joists by using a screw driver or something , they will be around 400mm apart starting from one edge of the room ,chip plaster away from either side of the joist , do this at both sides of the room , when you find them all , use a chalk line to make marks across the whole ceiling , you will now see lines where they run , buy suitable plasterbord 9.5mm thickness will be ok , also you will need 50mm screws or nails to fix the board , then have fun with the skimming

I didnt bother skimming I just filled the gaps with cove adhesive that was to hand and artexed the blighter straight to the plasterboard.
I cant remember which side (white or grey) I used,apparently it does matter.
Its still there four years later so it did work!

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my landing ceiling. It is sagging, but only in one place. It seems to be between only 2 joists for the almost the width of the landing, approx 5 foot.

My question is, can I take down this section only, or repair it somehow. It's an old lath and plaster ceiling and I have access to the loft if this helps.

I'm selling my house soon so I really only want to make it presentable for prospective buyers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Lisa.

Yes you can cut the section carefully and replace with plasterboard then plaster to the same level as the ceiling.You might have to double the joist to pick your plasterboard.Over the years you will get slight hairline crack of the section which can be paint over again

Thanks Masona ;)

I'm going to try to tackle it this week.

Lisa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back