Lath and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I've been having some problems with the walls in our house. The walls are what I believe is known as 'Lath and Plaster'. If that is not enough of a description, it's a vertical framework of wood with strips of lath wood run across at 90 degrees with approx half inch gap between each lath.
Cement has then been applied and then a finish coat over that.
I am having problems fixing things to the walls. unless I happen to screw into a vertical part of frame.
For plaster board there are a number of fixing devices. but
With the lath and plaster once i get through the initial render there's a gap of approx 2 inches before you get to brick.
Any ideas would be gratefully accepted. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: Ah well it's the obvious answer really. Tried it and it's a pain trying to get the wall plugs to align, and you aren't able to see if the plug is turning or located properly.
Just wondered if there were any kind of fixings that could be used. Seems not. :confused:
Thanks for the reply though

Depending on what weight it need to hold, something like toggle fixing for plasterboard :?: :idea:
wallfix9.gif
wallfix10.gif

Sponsored Links
Lath and plaster is not very strong, if you break it you'll wish you hadn't. You might consider fixing a batten with screws going into the studs, and fastening to that.

If you like hanging pictures and mirrors, use a picture rail.

Liamondo said:
:rolleyes: Ah well it's the obvious answer really. Tried it and it's a pain trying to get the wall plugs to align, and you aren't able to see if the plug is turning or located properly.
Just wondered if there were any kind of fixings that could be used. Seems not. :confused:
Thanks for the reply though

put the plug on the end of the screw and twist one circle, feed the screw through to the wall into the brick, hammer in leaving an inch then screw in ;)

:) Hi guys thanks for the replies. As I mentioned
For plaster board there are a number of fixing devices.
The problem is these fixing devices don't work due to there not being enough room between the laths and the bricks behind.
It really does seem like the long screws with the plug on the end of it as the main option. But at least we've tried. Thanks all
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back