Lath & Plaster walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone give me some advice on a bit of renovating i wish to do, i have just moved into an older property which has Lath & plaster walls i was thinking of removing this off the outer walls and putting insulating and new plasterboard up in it place, but i don't wont to damage the ceiling.
So can you advise is this a good idea and can it be done
The building is an old granite built property 100 year old +

Any help would be of gratefully received

Sponsored Links
outsider said:
Hi
Can anyone give me some advice on a bit of renovating i wish to do, i have just moved into an older property which has Lath & plaster walls i was thinking of removing this off the outer walls and putting insulating and new plasterboard up in it place, but i don't wont to damage the ceiling.

Is there laths on the external walls ???
My stone house only has lathes on the internal walls :confused:

outsider said:
Hi
i was thinking of removing this off the outer walls and putting insulating and new plasterboard up in it place, but i don't wont to damage the ceiling.

this sounds about right. run a sharp stanley knife along the ceiling-wall abutment first, this will help prevent collateral damage. screw fixing the boards will provide a bit of stiffening too. i take it the insulation is for acoustic purposes?

Sponsored Links
Hi
And thank you both for your replies
Yes the Lath & plaster on the outside walls and its for both sound and insulation
The only reason i don't wont to touch the ceiling is that it is such great condition not a crack in sight and the coving is in good condition as well

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back