Lawnmower first start up advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am going to start mowing again at the end of this month so today i decided to start the mower for the first time since Last October.

Ive put some new fresh fuel in with the small amount i couldnt get out in October & second pull it started.
Needed choke but started.
After say 3 minutes it stalled,i started it startight away and it runs.
Revs seem a little loud but i havent touched / changed anything since its last use.
With the throttle lever set say 1/2 way between tortoise /hare it runs fine for a while but it does die/stall after a while without just running until the fuel in the tank is empty.

can you advise what this is or what i should be now doing to get it ready for its new season

Sponsored Links
Its always a good move to start off with fresh oil and a blade sharpen.
Give it a new spark plug, check the air filter and if it still doesn't behave, post back with the make.
John :)

New carb,New plug,Air filter,Blade & oil was changed last year in October
There was minimal old fuel left so soon the tank should be empty

Champion R484SP

OK, I'll need to know if the machine has an OHV or side valve engine, if it still misbehaves.

Sponsored Links
On the side valve motor, the carburettor actually sits and is screwed into the tank. On the OHV the carb sits alone, float chamber is visible.
A picture or two of the engine would help!

Hi,
I am going to start mowing again at the end of this month so today i decided to start the mower for the first time since Last October.

Ive put some new fresh fuel in with the small amount i couldnt get out in October & second pull it started.
Needed choke but started.
After say 3 minutes it stalled,i started it startight away and it runs.
Revs seem a little loud but i havent touched / changed anything since its last use.
With the throttle lever set say 1/2 way between tortoise /hare it runs fine for a while but it does die/stall after a while without just running until the fuel in the tank is empty.

can you advise what this is or what i should be now doing to get it ready for its new season
I'm guessing it has a little primer/plunger thing ?

after it has run a little while and starts to die, give the plunger a press, if this gets it going again for a little while. Then my guess is dirty carberator.

don't know what this obsession is with changing spark plugs, they last for years, my lawn mower is 30+ years and still on the original. Unless the electrodes on the end are burn't to buggery then they don't need changing.

Well its tipping down but the carb is bolted to the side of the engine.
I remember the float bowl has a 10mm bolt going up the middle to hold it to the carb & also there is a bolt in the side of it to drain the fuel down.

Now trying to think about the primer bulb or wait for rain to stop

Petrol tank is mounted separate to carb / engine

Last edited:
There is no primer bulb.
Started this morning & didnt cut out,revs a little high but maybe it will clean through

Thansk

These engines often have the Briggs auto choke system......basically a device that takes heat from the exhaust and controls a choke flap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back