Laws about filming in your own property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live 100m up a private road... A dead end with us the only house... In the country surrounded by woodlands.

Most people don't even know we are here as our road looks like a dirt track but every week or two, I see a car drive up, immediately turn round and drive out. I never have time to go see who it is. It's not like people could be making a wrong turn so I've no idea why, or if it's the same person or random.

I was thinking about setting up a camera but it will capture legitimate visitors. There's also a public footpath through the trees which it might see.

Am I allowed to film from my property, if it can see outside my property? I don't mean into someone's garden, just public land. (England)

And what would you do in this situation? Being out in the sticks you can get a bit nervous when people randomly appear!

Sponsored Links
d000hg, good evening.

I am a member of an Air Gun [rifle + pistol] club that shoots in a ground about 100.m up a "private road"
We as a club have installed several cameras that cover the entrance to the club and some other areas.

As an aside the "rules" pertaining to Air Weapons up here are a lot more onerous than in England [just for the time being??]

Because we operate in a remote wooded area, the private road can be accessed by "ramblers"the rules regarding access to land are slightly different up here.

There is no impediment at all to operating a CCTV external system provided the view does not include someone else home.

Ken

There's a couple of things to consider, if your camera captures images from beyond your boundary GDPR will apply to you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...stic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property

However you can actually record or photograph anything you'd like from a public space so if you're on your own property I don't see why this wouldn't still apply. This might circumvent the GDPR requirements in some circumstances but most home installations will laps after 30 days anyway so any data after this time is destroyed.

It's not something I've ever worried about anyway.

Sponsored Links
You could always put up a sign too, which also may act as a deterrent.

I think it upsets people more so. People are used to seeing cameras dotted about but when you've got a sign in your face saying you're on video, they feel like their privacy is affected. However in reality those who want to act maliciously don't care if you have cameras or not. Certainly hasn't stopped anyone breaking into my van or pickup the 5 or so times they have since having it.

I think it upsets people more so. People are used to seeing cameras dotted about but when you've got a sign in your face saying you're on video, they feel like their privacy is affected. However in reality those who want to act maliciously don't care if you have cameras or not. Certainly hasn't stopped anyone breaking into my van or pickup the 5 or so times they have since having it.
I thought in certain circumstances you were supposed to put a sign up? Perhaps that's just businesses.

Sorry about your van again, they're **** ers.

I thought in certain circumstances you were supposed to put a sign up? Perhaps that's just businesses.

Sorry about your van again, they're **** ers.

I think it is more to do with being in a public space or commercial building. If authorities wanted to be pedantic I could readily put up a sign but it would be small enough that anyone would have to come onto my property to see/read it, automatically putting them in the wrong. Two way street should silly buggers want to play the game :D

They are indeed but unfortunately not much can be done about it. Just reading on the BBC, catalytic converter theft is on the rise again and I'm lucky to not of had mine pinched yet.

AFAIK its only guidance that you should put up a sign, businesses, governments, public bodies etc. have to - the homeowner does not.
You have a private road, not a public one - you should be fine pointing the camera at it.

The rules are changing:

Under the Data Protection (Charges and Information) Regulations 2018, individuals and organisations that process personal data need to pay a data protection fee to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), unless they are exempt.

By going through the following questions you will be able to decide if you – as an individual or on behalf of your business or organisation – need to pay a fee to the ICO.

From 25 May 2018, people who use CCTV for domestic purposes, ie to monitor their property, even if it films beyond the boundaries of their property will be exempt from paying a fee under data protection law.

I wouldn't pay them dick if it did apply. I pay enough in tax for the shower of ****e police force that prevent nothing as it is.

Sponsored Links
Back