Layering floor levelling compound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to level a concrete floor (86 years old and dry/non absorbent) before fitting porcelain tiles in my hallway. I have dips up to about 7mm deep.

Does the compound have to be applied in a single coat or can I applyone layer on top of another? How long would I have to allow between layers and would I need to apply primer between layers?

I haven't used slc before and would appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Most SLC’s will cope with that in one hit & there are SLC’s that will go up to 30mm or even more. As always, just make sure you follow the manufacturers instructions.

Before you buy any tiling materials, I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

there are a few differant types of slc...
fibre/latex/water..based ones

and yes most mfr would advice the use off a primer,this helps adhesion to subtrate..and prevents air bubbles ect...and between layers if building the floor up..

good mixing paddle/bucket and trowel needed

as rich has said just follow mfr inst..re:mix ratio

if you havent used it before then make sure your expectations are right.

a lot of people think they just pour it out and its magic. if fact it needs a hand with a plasterers trowel or similar. trowel it around into the right areas and then leave it to level itself properly. get rid of air bubbles as you go.

Sponsored Links
if you havent used it before then make sure your expectations are right.

a lot of people think they just pour it out and its magic. if fact it needs a hand with a plasterers trowel or similar. trowel it around into the right areas and then leave it to level itself properly. get rid of air bubbles as you go.
Very true ;)

richard - you wouldnt believe the things we hear. had a chap come back into the shop 2 weeks ago and he had mixed 2 full bags in a gorilla tub with only half the amount of water, poured it in the middle of a 16m2 floor and gone to bed!
bet it looked like a skate park :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back