Floor levelling 5cm drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a conservatory that i want to tile. The base is concrete. There is a drop of 5cm over about 2.4 metres.

I see you can get floor leveling compound up to 50mm - does this have to be done in layers or one go?

Sponsored Links
Generally in one hit.

You will be able to multiples, but might be a good idea to apply a coat of primer (primer g,)/pva before you do layer 2, etc.

is it 2.4m in length or 2.4m²?

Generally in one hit.

You will be able to multiples, but might be a good idea to apply a coat of primer (primer g,)/pva before you do layer 2, etc.

is it 2.4m in length or 2.4m²?

It's 2.4 x 3.6m, and it slopes from one side to another.

I've just removed the top layer of lino and there is another one underneath which is almost impossible to remove because of the glue! Does this definitely need to be removed?

Yes, you really need this off, it’s unlikely anything will adhere to it properly.

Is the lino underneath Tiles or roll?

for the size of the room, perhaps screeding would be cheaper, sure you’ll get some more replies.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you really need this off, it’s unlikely anything will adhere to it properly.

Is the lino underneath Tiles or roll?

for the size of the room, perhaps screeding would be cheaper, sure you’ll get some more replies.

I've taken the lino off now. Having remeasured it one corner has a drop of about 8cm, so I'm wondering if I should mix up a screed to level this up, then cover it with FLC before tiling it. My only concern is that the screed would be quite thin towards the up slope. Any thoughts?

Good job.

How thin is thin? Less than 25mm?
Don’t forget when your floor is down any weight will be spread all over, so how thin doesn’t really matter.

Prime the surface first, then I’d make up that difference with screed, and as you mentioned self levelling for the remainder.

Good job.

How thin is thin? Less than 25mm?
Don’t forget when your floor is down any weight will be spread all over, so how thin doesn’t really matter.

Prime the surface first, then I’d make up that difference with screed, and as you mentioned self levelling for the remainder.

Well if i was to pour screed into the deepest corner, it would become progressively thinner up the slope if that makes sense? I'm wondering if screed is the right option now, as even at its deepest it'll only be 5cm and in one corner.

I've attached an image to give an idea - wonder if it's best just to get 50mm leveling compound and put it on twice!

Attachments

• conserv.PNG
    conserv.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
Are the red figures you’ve drawn the cm’s you have to fill? I’m presuming so.

As it’s half of the floor you could work out, 3.6m x 1.2m x (75mm the average between 50/100mm)

You won’t be able to do 100mm in one go...

To do that size at 40mm the ardex site Is saying 13 bags... being optimistic you may be looking at 23... these are guesstimates! £15 a bag at Screwfix.

suppose you could buy 10, and see how far that gets you... once dry prime go again.

hth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back