laying a granite work top over sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a butler sink and 2 paving size slabs of granite which we want to install either side of the sink which then in turn will rest on angle iron brackets on the 2 end adjacent walls.

Our question is - the end of granite that rests on the sink edge, we were going to just rest on a bead of silicone, as instructed by the granite supplier. but I'm thinking wont it just all squeeze out when we put the granite on? Should we rest a tiny plastic tile spacer or something similar between the top edge of the sink and the granite on top to stop it squashing down too much until the silicone is dry.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you should idealy have a cappilery groove underneath to shed the water into the sink!!!!

how heavy are the slabs!!!

what support is under the sink!!!

big-all's questions are, of course, all relevant ... and I've never fitted a kitchen in my life! But, just in case you get no more answers ... if I was doing it, I'd fit the granite first and then apply the silicon.

Sponsored Links
thanks , that's what we did in the end ....the sink is supported by a heavy duty wooden purpose built cradle, the slabs are as heavy as 2 and a half foot square paving slabs (only maybe a bit heavier as they are granite and 30mm thick.)

We put a baton on the back walls and angle iron brackets on the two side end walls (put silicon on top of both these to bed the granite on to), then put two small wooden wedges to get the level right where the granite was to rest on the two sides of the sink, then underfilled between the top edge of the sink and the underside of the granite with silicon. When this was dry we pulled out the wedges, and filled the gap left with more silicon.

With no instructions to follow we tried to use common sense method, and I think it has turned out ok. The main thing i was worried about as mentioned in my first question is the silicon on the edge of the sink squeezing out under the weight of the granite resting on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back