Laying a long length of engineered wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help / advise me on the way to lay tong and groove engineered flooring (189mm x 21mmthick). I have already laid fairly “successfully” a floating floor in a room measuring 6 x 4meters.

However my next project is to lay a floating floor for our very large through lounge dining room kitchen measuring approx 13 meters by 4 meters. It will have to be laid lengthways and hence the problem.

On the previous room I laid 3 widths to start off with and left overnight to cure. I ensured that those 3 widths were straight by pulling a cord from one end to another.

My problem now is the increased length. I am very worried that if I do not get the first 3 widths dead on straight on a distance of approx 13 meters I will be in trouble when I get to fitting the planks at the middle and towards the end.

Can someone advise me of the way forward please? (I am also aware that I am at the extreme limits of laying a floor without having expansion joints recommended after some 12 meters!.)

Sponsored Links
That 12 - or better 11 meters - is applicable in the width, not in the length of the room. Since your rooms are maximum 4 meters I can't see a problem there. As long as it is a rather open plan you could get away with not installing thresholds/dividers

As for keeping the rows straight over this length: take your time and if possible nail/screw blocks that'll hold the 3 rows in place into the underfloor so everything can settle overnight.

Many thanks "WoodYouLike" Now that is a good idea of placing / fixing some blocks down on the floor along the 13 meters. That would be a great guideline of course and I could therefore work against these. Why did I not think of that idea myself!!!?? Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back