Laying a patio for the first time should I

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to pave my front garden which is approx 10m2 how hard is it to do or should I pay someone I am trying to save money.

I guess I can hire all the tools. I am just wondering about getting the drainage right. Also once I have hired all the tools would i be better off getting someone.

How much would some roughly charge?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
for a driveway a rough guide of 50 quid per square metre is reasonable. If its only a patio type area with just foot traffic then a little less.

Block paving in particular is very straight-forward. Check out pavingexpert .com for lots of step by step guides for any kind of paving.

The most difficult bit for a first timer is setting out levels etc.

For a tiny area like 10sq/m you could simply fall it towards a flower bed.

Sponsored Links
This is the area I would like to pave. My first problem is where do I run the drainage to.

Any help would be good. I want to lay black slate paving slabs.

There is a drain in the middle of the drive. Also how deep do I need to go 15cm or 30cm?

Just notice I have a drain pipe in the far left corner I take it I can just run the water into there

Thanks for the regulations.

Just going to be a patio and foot traffic nothing else. How would I get water to drain that way but away from the house.

Do I need to go 15cm or 30cm deep

Thanks for the help

its hard to know what to advise regaring drainage as we can't see where the natural fall is.

Ideally never fall toward the house unless its unavoidable. You can either fall it towards the existing gulley which requires a fall in multiple directions and that is very hard with flags rather than block paving. Or you could install a run of linear drains which is probably overkill in your scenario.

To be honest for such a small area you could fall it towards the drive and just let it run to where ever that drains to.

As for depth you want a 100mm hardcore sub-base then 50mm bedding mortar and your flag thickness of maybe 25-35mm so in total you dig out 180mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back