laying a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to put a patio into my garden. I've dug out a pit for it and dumped a load of broken bricks which I found elsewhere in the garden into it (there wasn't really anywhere else to put them, so I figured bury them under the patio to act as some sort of sub-base - was that a stupid idea?). I was looking at various other posts and websites referred to on here (particularly http://www.pavingexpert.com which seems to be everyone's favourite), but I'm a bit confused about what to do next. I assumed that I put a layer of sharp sand down until it is flat and at the correct level and then lay the flags on top of that using the "5 blobs" technique? The website seems to suggest you can lay the flags straight onto the sand without having to use mortar at all - is that a viable way to do it? Sorry if this repeats questions which others have asked, I'm a bit confused about all the different answers.

Sponsored Links
benm said:
I assumed that I put a layer of sharp sand down until it is flat and at the correct level and then lay the flags on top of that using the "5 blobs" technique?
A lot easier this way as you can tap the slab down with a mallet for levelling.

If you put it straight on sand, the slab tend to rock slightly and you will need a swear box. :LOL:

Broken bricks is ideal for sub-base.

Mix some cement with sharp sand as well.

great, that clears things up a lot

I'm glad about the broken bricks - I dug up so much rubble from the garden, the place looked like a quarry and I had nowhere else to put it except under the patio-to-be...

When I did my patio I used a broken brick/concrete base and put a dry sharp sand, soft sand and cement mix base and compacted it, then placed the slabs on top of that.

It can get quite tedious getting it all level but well worth afterwards. It's been down for 3 years now and as good as they day I laid it.

Sponsored Links
The paving experts site is pretty good but you have to read everything closely a couple of times to understand what you have to do.

I put a layer of sharp sand down until it is flat
The bedding layer recommended is 10 parts sharp sand to 1 part cement. You can work with that for a couple of hours. The moisture in the sand and and moisture in the ground will cause the layer to set after after 24 hours.

lay the flags on top of that using the "5 blobs" technique
No. They don't recommend that at all. Just lay the slabs straight onto the bedding layer and mortar in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back