Laying a slate floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have searched the forum but I am still a little unsure about the answer to my question:

I am going to lay a slate floor in my kitchen. I did this in my last house and used a sealer but I had a problem with grout getting into the slate and it never looked right.

I am worried about making the same mistakes again. I am going to lay this http://www.handyheat.co.uk/acatalog/150w_cable_mats.html underfloor heating with the therma coat sealer fluid on a concrete slab base (new build house). I only want the tiles to be warm as I have radiators for primary heat.

Now how do I ensure I don't screw up my tiles? I think I should clean the tiles with plain water and then seal them prior to laying. Then lay and grout, is this the correct way? I will be spending the money on a preium impregnator this time (used HG last time).

What do people think? Really want a good result this time!!!!

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
go for a product i use for this jopb its called slate seal by lithofin, (other products are available) use a paint brush to put it on, then when you have laid the tiles do it again before you do any grouting, you will have no probs then.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, but I think that is a gloss finish? I am after a natural finsh....

Sponsored Links
go for the one called easy care then fella, same results as slate seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back