Laying DPM on wet (from rain) block and beam.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

It’s been a while since I have posted but I return to my favourite place for advice.

For various reasons (including an almighty cock up by the company supplying our glass roof)! I need to prepare our floor for insulation and underfloor heating. Whilst I have tried to keep the rain out the block and beam floor is still damp and possibly even may be classed as wet in some places. I am beyond frustration with the glass company. They were meant to turn up 2 weeks ago with the window and roof, they came last Saturday with just the window and obviously it’s done nothing but rain ever since. Tarpaulins have been used but they haven’t kept everything dry and additionally it was slightly damp anyway.

Would it be ok to lay the DPM (1200 gauge polythene) on the floor even though it’s still damp. I realise it will take longer to dry out but it is ventilated underneath.

Delaying this is going to cause us a massive issue but I also don’t want to cause us any future problems. Should I be trying to force dry the block and beam as much as I can otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
hi all,

It’s been a while since I have posted but I return to my favourite place for advice.

For various reasons (including an almighty cock up by the company supplying our glass roof)! I need to prepare our floor for insulation and underfloor heating. Whilst I have tried to keep the rain out the block and beam floor is still damp and possibly even may be classed as wet in some places. I am beyond frustration with the glass company. They were meant to turn up 2 weeks ago with the window and roof, they came last Saturday with just the window and obviously it’s done nothing but rain ever since. Tarpaulins have been used but they haven’t kept everything dry and additionally it was slightly damp anyway.

Would it be ok to lay the DPM (1200 gauge polythene) on the floor even though it’s still damp. I realise it will take longer to dry out but it is ventilated underneath.

Delaying this is going to cause us a massive issue but I also don’t want to cause us any future problems. Should I be trying to force dry the block and beam as much as I can otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

Theres no problem laying down dpm on wet blocks. That is no issue at all.

However if you lay dpm down and insulation......which gets rained on, you could get water running down between the insulation and pooling on the dpm. However if you lay all that down and tape all the joints and cover with tarp you will be ok, just try and stop water getting behind the dpm where its turned up at the walls.

The screed has water anyway, so a bit of ingress isnt an issue.

Music to my ears. Thanks the roof will be fitted Monday or Tuesday. With the DPM and insulation going in Thursday and Friday.

Thanks again. I was hoping that was the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back