Laying floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not trying to do this on the cheap but......

I am laying ceramic tiles onto a concrete floor as part of a renovation of an old out house, I have PVA'd the floor and layed so many with floor tile adhesive which I have run out of and wondered -

I have this bag of cement that I opened last week that will go off if I don't use it, rather than buy more tile adhesive could I use it with sand to lay the remaining tiles?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
It was toung in cheek ;) but is that the best you can do? Not even an attempt to answer my question?

quarry tiles were laid with a strong sand/cement mix as a norm when i was a lad. a real bu**er to try and chisel up as well.

Sponsored Links
Cheers noseall.

I'll give it a go (have done it now), what's the worst that can happen? I'll wish I hadn't and cause myself some extra work.

Thanks

Jon

The worst that can happen is that the tiles don't adhere to the cement properly (cause it's not as "sticky" as tile adhesive), they come loose and you have to chip up all the cement and do it properly AND you have the added annoyance of knowing that I was right. ;) :p

Also the old quarries were bedded in a much thicker bed of sand/cement if you are trying to comb out the sand/cement to the same thickness as the adhesive you started the job with you will not have much luck.

Thats if the PVA you used does not make the whole job fail :cry: ;)

JAson

What a barrell of laughs you two are, hoping I fail is just unbelievable :LOL:

Bet you two used to take your bat and ball home regularly ;)

Did it last night and chckd thm this morning and they seem absolutely solid (tried pulling em up and they aint shifting).

Come on, positivity fella's

P.S Why would the P.V.A make the job fail?

Honestly! You try and give people good advice and they throw it back in your face.
Jason, you get your bat....... I'll get my ball - we're off. :p

Thanks Jasonb

That explained a lot and makes sense.

I obviously don't have as much expierience as you guys and need to ask, I try reading the boards before posting bt couldn't find any info on whether I could use the sand and cement, in respect of the PVA i wasn't looking for info on it so it wouldn't likely have come up, I was following the advice of someone who I thought knew more than me, obviously not!

Hopefully the PVA won't make the job fail but if it does I will have to chalk it down to expeirience and learn from it, likewise with the sand and cement mix.

We learn from people who know I suppose, I have to ask people on here cos I don't know many people that actually know, they usually just pretend to know.

Cheers

Jon

http://www.-no%20ads-.co.uk/tiling/diy_Tiling_Why_not_to_use_pva.htm

What is the real server name? I would like to check this htm document :).

google for ultimate handyman as every link I post gets altered

Look in the tiling section

Jason

ah :D the server is u-l-t-i-m-a-t-e-h-a-n-d-y-m-a-n without dash lines. Good page. Cheers ;).

Hmm, I wonder why you'd need to use tiling primer anyway. Why not just use tile adhesive directly onto the 'substrate' :confused: :confused:. Hmm. I take it you can't even seal the concrete floor/ screed with PVA even though it's a horizontal surface.

Just thought, hope I don't get told off my mod for bypassing censorship :confused:.

The primer will kill any dust on the surface and it is also useful when working in hot weather as it slows the rate a which moisture is sucked out of the adhesive into the substrate giving a longer open time. Just match the primer to the adhesive and you should not have problems.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back