Laying floorboards in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some tips on laying new floorboards to reclaim room in my attic/loft please? Specifically, I'm thinking of what types of floorboards I should be looking for, what size nails, should I buy or hire a nail gun to speed up the process, and should I wear a mask up there (house built in 2005) as it has what looks like fibre glass type (yellow) insulation foam up there.

Sponsored Links
Do you plan to install directly onto the joists or is there a suitable load-bearing underfloor already - or option3: create a smooth underfloor first with 18mm plywood?

If on joists - make sure your boards are long enough to connect with at least 3 joists - where the joists should not be further apart than 35 - 40 cm.

What's the purpose of the room? simple extra storage area, bedroom, study?

Was just going to use it as storage space actually. I've bought some loft chipboard flooring to go up there. Going to screw them to the cross-beams up there...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back