Laying gravel on paving stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a path from my back door with a few steps and was wondering to improve the look of it if I build a wooden baton frame around the edges (where it is needed as most of the path is already edges with a wall) and then fill it deep enough with small diameter gravel, can I put the gravel straight down on the concrete path, I think it will just be a little difficult to take up one half of the path as they are very old heavy slabs, the other half being very easy to take up.

Thanks

Charlie

Sponsored Links
If it's any help to you the people we bought our house from did this over an old concrete patio and we find it a complete pain!

The stones get stuck in trainers and tread into the house all the time (not good for the wood flooring) if you get mud on your boots when gardening the stuff forms concrete overshoes on the soles.

Worse still is from time to time it gets thin in places and then it's like walking on marbles quite lethal!

Oh and the cat hates walking on it, but from time to time he decides it's a giant litter tray :cry:

Why don't we sweep it all up? There are a couple of sloping sections and they thought it would be a good idea to spread bitumen on the concrete to keep it in place, just can't get the stuff off!

Perhaps you have guessed I wouldn't recommend it!

Best wishes,
footprints.

Ive seen it done but its not ideal. You may get away with a self binding gravel but no contractor should do it for a couple of reasons. It will kick very easily and become bare in places and it can be very dangerous. I can see the appeal as its cheap and easy.
The one thing that may do the trick is lay some flag/paving stones on the concrete with a 6/1 mix as stepping stones so you wont need many as a single line spaced out is economical and pour gravel everywhere else up to the level of the flags. so you only step on the flags and the gravel doesnt need raking often and its safe cheap and easy.

If i get what you mean correctley, Stone on top of a concrete path can be done, but i think you would be better to repave on top of the existing path. i have stones on my drive and although they look ok, i am not a fan. i have actually seen a new product where you just take concrete and clolour it then pour on top of the existing base, a templte is the used to press on a monoblock shape into the concrete. Easier and cheaper than stones.

Sponsored Links
Pattern imprinted concrete is the last thing a diyer should try.

You clearly have no idea what it is if you think its easy or cheap.

We have used this technique on a few contracts and found it more time efficient than the traditional monoblock paving.

on a small pathway i think it would be reletively easy and cost effective. the templates or stamps can be bought on ebay for about £30-£50 (delivery can be expensive as much comes from the US) and as long as you can float or flatten the concrete it should not be to difficult to do.

I agree that on a big area best to get proffesionals to do it, but small areas should not pose a problem to a DIYer. Youtube has some good videos on how to do it.

stalling Pavers gravel vs sand

The proper way to install pavers is to have a base compacted suitably for the use. The compacted base surface must be parallel to the finished paver surface. Most pavers are 60, 80 or 100 mm thick.

Spread a 1" later of sand on the base and screed it off smoothly. The sand should NOT be thicker, should NEVER contain cement and is NOT compacted. Concrete sand is ideal.

You should also have an edge resratint (plastic, aluminum, steel or concrete).

Lay the pavers with tight joints and sprinkle fine sand (masons sand or fine concrete sand) over the pavers. Compact with a plate compactor (can be rented) and sweep off the excess sand that does not vibrate into the joints.

This is reaaly the only method recommended for interlocking concrete pavers (the most common type of pavers used). The main variable is the strength/compaction of of the base and possibly the paver thickness, although 80 mm pavers are acceptable for most apllications. This method is recommended for pavers installed for patios, sidewalks, driveways, streets, airport taxiways for 747s and industrial pavement applications.

For details on the selection, planning, installation and maintenance of pavers, go to the Interlocking Concrete Paving Institute site - icpi.org, I believe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back