Laying hardbord and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I plan to put hardboard over current floorboards in my bathroom and then put cork tiles over that to finish. I've bought the stuff but I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the hardboard get laid rough side up?

2. Instead of using hardboard nails I'd rather just use screws to enusre that the board doesn't lift at some point in the future - is this ok? I'm assuming I can use any appropriately sized screws.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Screws are fine to use instead of nails, but ideally the tiles should be laid on 6mm ply not hardboard.

Thanks crazydaze.

And there's me thinking I'd done a bit of research and bought the right stuff :oops: . It is quite a small area I have to cover about 4'x4' but should buy the plywood you suggest instead of the hardboard I bought? Or is hardboard acceptable as a less than best option and I'll get away with it??

Cheers

Hardboard is ok as a smoothing product to reduce the unevenness of a floor, but it's not very strong for securing/glueing flooring product too. Ply is a much more stable product and ideal for smoothing a floor particularly if the product you are laying must be secured/glued down.

In short the hardboard is likely to be unstable, ply is the more suitable/stable product

Sponsored Links
Thanks Crazydaze, that's made things very clear.

Appreciate the info.

Hello

I plan to put hardboard over current floorboards in my bathroom and then put cork tiles over that to finish. I've bought the stuff but I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the hardboard get laid rough side up?

2. Instead of using hardboard nails I'd rather just use screws to enusre that the board doesn't lift at some point in the future - is this ok? I'm assuming I can use any appropriately sized screws.

Thanks

Make sure that you spread tiles for several days not 24 hours as Wickes suggest.Mine(tiles) started swelling after they had been laid and glued to board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back