Laying vinyl over defective cork tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought some cork tiles from W*ck*s and foillowed their advice to leave cork in room for 24 hours.They were laid on primed hardboard but lifted,despite using the dedicated adhesive.I believe the tiles needed far more than 24 hours as the house is cold and unoccupied.

I have the task of removing the tiles but I wanted to avoid this tedious task by laying the vinyl over the tiles once the swollen ones had been replaced.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

Sponsored Links
The design and shape of the cork tiles will almost certainly transpose through the vinyl if you lay straight over the top, you may also have a reaction between the cork tiles and vinyl resulting in black marks showing through the vinyl. Hold a piece of vinyl up to the light and you will see that light and shapes are easy to see through it.

The design and shape of the cork tiles will almost certainly transpose through the vinyl if you lay straight over the top, you may also have a reaction between the cork tiles and vinyl resulting in black marks showing through the vinyl. Hold a piece of vinyl up to the light and you will see that light and shapes are easy to see through it.

Thanks for your observations.I would be better either ripping out the hardboard underlay and tiles attached OR screw some hardboard/plywood over the top and starting again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back