Laying hardcore on top of existing patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick patio and plan to have it redone with ceramic/sandstone slabs. The landscaper says he can lay hardcore on top of the brick then cement and lay slabs. I thought the brick paviours would have to be removed, he says not. Any advice welcomed.

Sponsored Links
how far above the existing paving is the DPC of your house?

I think your installer is a cowboy and should be avoided.

The house was built in 1966 so I'm not sure there is a damp proof course. I can see something that looks a bit like one and it's about 5 inches from the ground. The landscaper is well known locally and came highlyso I was surprised at the suggestion re laying hardcore on top of the bricks.

The house was built in 1966 so I'm not sure there is a damp proof course.

yes, there is. "Ground-level damp proof courses have been mandatory in all British buildings since the Public Health Act of 1875."

Usually about two bricks above where the ground level used to be when the house was built.

and the ground level should not be raised above that

it is a frequent cause of damp, and annoyance at cowboy builders who did it.

Sponsored Links
Well I've learnt somthing today! I thought it was the 1980s that it became mandatory. I don't think the ground level will be above the DPC but I'm still curious about whether he can lay hardcore on top of the brick paviours without taking them up?

Well I've learnt somthing today! I thought it was the 1980s that it became mandatory. I don't think the ground level will be above the DPC but I'm still curious about whether he can lay hardcore on top of the brick paviours without taking them up?
Yes as long as the hard core individual units aren't overly large so that it becomes depth prohibitive. Crack on.

What's the hardcore for? Why not just lay a lean mix on the existing and then slab directly?.
Although 5 inches is a bit tight for space, given you are supposed to stay 6 inches below dpc in the first place.

The reason your installer wants to do that is that excavation and disposal of existing patio is very difficult and expensive and doesn't add value to the job for most people at completion.

OP,
Dont "crack on" at all - why?

1. Because "crack on" is a well bad impulsive suggestion from a a DIY'er who seems to be ignorant of these simple matters.
2. (As JohnD) Because You have not yet Identified your DPC - Because you must be aware of where your DPC is, for your own information & to correct the Builder if needed.
3. Because You've posted no pics showing the condition of the Brick Paviours or their base.
4. Because - Hardcore? - what kind and composition of "hardcore" are you referring to?
5. Because loosely talking about "cement" suggests that neither you nor your landscaper appear to
understand whats required?

But no problem, your in the right place for good professional or experienced advice.
Pics of your patio & more info on the Paviours would help?

It would be near impossible to keep your patio below the DPC if you have only 125mm to play with, 50mm MOT min 30/40mm bedding plus the flag thickness, the block paving and sand bedding should be removed. And why the need for hardcore? if block paving was solid surely he would suggest laying on top of that, (not the way to do it though)

Post #6,
No one in the building trade ever refers to hardcore stone as individual units.
For the benefit of readers perhaps you would post a measured section view of how you would do the work? Do include "individual units"?
In the meantime, Please stop misleading OP's with weird information & even weirder posts.

It would be near impossible to keep your patio below the DPC if you have only 125mm to play with, 50mm MOT min 30/40mm bedding plus the flag thickness, the block paving and sand bedding should be removed. And why the need for hardcore? if block paving was solid surely he would suggest laying on top of that, (not the way to do it though)
Irrelevant in terms of the OP's query. Yes the paviours can stay. It's up to the OP if he wants to breach the DPC then mitigate any future problems that may occur.

It's never a good idea to beach the 150mm DPC rule but sometimes conditions occur (like neighbours living on hilly roads with abutting driveways etc) means that such things like (ugly) lead flashing can be used to mitigate the splash problem.

Post #6,
No one in the building trade ever refers to hardcore stone as individual units.
For the benefit of readers perhaps you would post a measured section view of how you would do the work? Do include "individual units"?
In the meantime, Please stop misleading OP's with weird information & even weirder posts.
The guys on pavingexpert talk about the size of hardcore and how it affects the depth that is needed, as in shallow hardcore with large units won't do anything except make laying difficult and the patio likely to move

The guys on pavingexpert talk about the size of hardcore and how it affects the depth that is needed, as in shallow hardcore with large units won't do anything except make laying difficult and the patio likely to move
Tell80 is a renowned troll. A clueless troll that understands little about building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back