laying laminate floor up to patio door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im having laminate laid down on concrete, carpenter has done a expansion gap around the walls of about 6-8mm.
now where the floor comes up to the exterior patio door leading to garden, hes butted the laminate floor right up to the wood door frame (leaving no expansion gap here).

he tells me this is ok and he will silicone to finish it off.
is this ok for him to do? should he leave a expansion gap at the patio door frame? he says he doesnt need to have gap here and butting it up tight will give better finish

Sponsored Links
OK provided the other end has a gap, though I would prefer and trim over a gap at the door to give a neat edge, silicon is always a second best option.

The other end of the floor does have a gap but will have a heavy sofa on it. Will this make any difference? Can laminate still expand towards a gap where heavy furniture is on it?

Sponsored Links
heres a pic, please confirm if ok before skirting installed:
i had laminate installed around the lounge, where it leads to the garden door there is no expansion gap around the hardwood door frame. is this ok, or should there be a 8mm gap? there is a expansion gap against the other walls.
currently the flooring is butted up tight against the door frame leading out to the garden...
see pics below.

20140521_182427_RichtoneHDR_zps377ffa0e.jpg

20140521_182509_zpse4fcfbb5.jpg

Should be fine though I would have cut a well area at door and put in a threshold mat as exterior doors are likely to be wet areas in winter.
Water and laminate do no mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back