laying Marley plain concrete tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to lay the above on a small roof over a ground floor bay window.
Trouble is, when reading the Marley laying instructions I have no idea what the technical terms like headlap mean.

The roof angle is 45 degrees, how far apart should the battens be? how much should the upper tile overlap the lower one by?

The roof is 34" from the wall to the eaves.

Sponsored Links
well I dont think you need to worry 3 rows of tiles should do you. put a baton against the wall not too close or you wont be able to get the tile over the baton next sit a tile in the gutter and that will determine that row so you should be able work out were to nail the middle baton so they are equally spaced I hope that helps.

well I dont think you need to worry 3 rows of tiles should do you. put a baton against the wall not too close or you wont be able to get the tile over the baton next sit a tile in the gutter and that will determine that row so you should be able work out were to nail the middle baton so they are equally spaced I hope that helps.

That'll leak rather!

Plain tiles are laid at a 100mm gauge with a double course at the eave and top edge. TBH, it may be worth paying a professional to do it unless you are very competent, we see so many diy (or builder) tiled roofs that are just going to leak as someone wants to save a couple of hundred quid

Surrey, I assume gauge means batten centres, it turns out I need about 8 rows.

Sponsored Links
miss read you. I thought you were using marley moderns :oops:

lol, I did thin that to be honest :)

Not surpriseing considering the amount of times Architects and builders say plain tiles and mean large flat interlocking tiles

Yup, gauge is batten centres, remember you need 50mm over the fascia to take the tile halfway into the gutter

Thanks lads, I have nearly finished the job.............Jeez, I had no idea how difficult it would be to get all the rafters level and the soffit distances equal. The bay is flat fronted with 45 degree sides, all those angled cuts, I must have wasted half a forest of 6"x2". I have total respect now for all roofing carpenters!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back