Laying new water mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im after some advice on laying a new water main. I am planning a new extension which will include an unvented cylinder. As I have lead piping coming in im thinking now is a good time to switch to mdpe pipe. Severn trent also offer a lead replacement scheme.

I have a block paving drive which I would rather not disturb and I plan for the pipe to enter the double garage attached to our house where the new tank would be fitted. I have a grass verge (council owned) that runs along side the garage which would be ideal to dig a trench and lay the pipe. My 1st question is would I need permission to do this or could I get on with it. It wouldnt look any different after I finished as the grass would be replaced.

My next question which tradesman could I get in to complete the work? Im happy to dig a trench. I know it has to be minimum of 750mm. The only concern I have is digging out the concrete in the garage and core drilling through the foundation which I know is a meter deep.

My thoughts are that I could hire the correct equipment such as drills and disc cutters for the concrete and even hire a mini digger for the trench, but when all said and done would it be more economical to get somebody to do it who already has the tools/know how

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would suspect that You'll need the councils Permission to not only duh up their land but also run the service across their land.

After that you could use a ground breaker insuduct rather than having to core through the foundation.

Sponsored Links
This is started to sound complicated all I want to do is dig a small trench lay a pipe and fill it in
Ive even looked at moling or trenching machines to keep it as narrow as possible.

Has anyone used insuduct to avoid drilling through foundstions?
Im also trying to figure a way out of having to dig up concrete floor in the garage. My garage floor is below the ground level as the drive slopes down but I think its around 600mm lower. I was hoping it would be more so that when the pipe was layed in a 750mm trench it could just come straight through.

I have been on a job where I had to swap the internal plumbing to a new main which was supplied via insuduct and it looked quite neat.
Have you thought of getting someone in to Grundomat (Mole) the drive, you'll only need a hole either end of the dig & whoever you get to do it should do the reinstatement for you.

I think the insuduct looks promising. That would allow me to get entry with the new pipe just above concrete floor level in the garage. I just need to check with severn trent its ok to use.

Yep it's fine to use, I wouldn't have recommended it otherwise.;)

I appreciate the recommendation Lee. That could save me a good few £££ if I go down that route. Only problem is the licence from my local council is looking like £500+ just to dig a trench in some unused grass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back