Laying patio in the rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The weather doesn’t look too great next week and I really need to be cracking on with getting the patio laid. I’ve got all the sharp sand and cement here ready to go. I’m still trying to decide on a damp or dry mix for the base (would be keen to hear your preferences and reasons why), but my question is will I be ok to lay the patio in the rain, as long as it’s not too heavy.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No to laying in the rain if using cement in the mix certainly, and most probably no again even if not.

A "dry bed" will still need to be damp, but not soaking. The difference is whether a solid bed or spots. This will largely depend on the type of slabs. You can walk on a solid sand bed straightaway, but not on spots.

Solid bedded.

*We form a joint using the bed mix and is connected to the bed mix.

Mix the gear according to conditions. Even when the rain has stopped the sub base may be drowned.

On a decent dry permeable base we have the muck 'workable'. It needs a certain amount of water so that you can manoeuvre the slabs and tap 'em level etc. Too much water will bubble through the joints though.

Laying in the rain will be miserable and smudgy.

*Geo Fix is a good alternative to mortar joints.

Sponsored Links
The slabs are butt jointed. I’ll avoid the rain I think, and pray for some good weather this half term so I can get outside and crack on in the dry. I’ll be laying on a full bed as heard bad things of spot laying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back