Laying paving slabs direct onto earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to put paving slabs directly onto bare soil in my back garden? I don't want to do the proper patio thing. I just want some even area that is not muddy to have summer picnics on.

Should I pour sand on top of the earth to help with levelling? Someone suggested this, but I think this would hinder the slabs getting a grip into the bare soil rather than help it?

Sponsored Links
You will need a sub base.

Paving onto earth is a bodge job and won't last one season.

Andy

What happens is when it rains the soil underneath turns to mud and comes up through the joints when you walk on the slabs. This then leaves a hollow under the slab which means it wobbles more and squirts more mud up through the joint. When it dries the slab will be loose and will not be level.
Bad idea!

Sponsored Links
Is it ok to put paving slabs directly onto bare soil in my back garden? I don't want to do the proper patio thing. I just want some even area that is not muddy to have summer picnics on.

Why don't you just turf it or grass seed it, you won't be having picnics in the wet weather?

As a bodge you can lay them on some ballast in the corners, they may not last too long (ie 5 years say) without subsiding here or there but will not be as bad as the doom and gloom merchants on here. That said I have a timber deck on bricks on ballst on made up ground that's not moved in 12 years! :rolleyes:

Placing direct on the earth is a bodge too far though.

been like it a few years now, sand was no more than half an inch thick

been like it a few years now, sand was no more than half an inch thick

cheers, i will try this. i have actually laid paving slabs directly onto bare soil many years ago and they seemed fine. my other half insists that we put down sand before plonking the paving slabs down this time but i thought this would just make it worse as it stops the paving sinking into the soil evenly and taking hold.

from what you say however, it does not sound like a bad idea.

an important factor will be the kind of use/traffic they'll get.... if you're parking your car on them expect them to become a mess in 2 months... if you're just walking over them to hang your washing out they'll last a good few years !

an important factor will be the kind of use/traffic they'll get.... if you're parking your car on them expect them to become a mess in 2 months... if you're just walking over them to hang your washing out they'll last a good few years !

definately agree with you there. i wouldn't dream of doing it myself if i needed a drive as the weight of the car needs serious foundation. this is to be used for have a picnic on so that you don't get dirty shoes after the rain and the soil is still wet.

What happens is when it rains the soil underneath turns to mud and comes up through the joints when you walk on the slabs. This then leaves a hollow under the slab which means it wobbles more and squirts more mud up through the joint. When it dries the slab will be loose and will not be level.
Bad idea!
Maybe in Bucks.

In London he may have a heavy clay soil, and laying the slabs direct could well be OK for just walking on.

But I agree it's a lazy bodge.

Bad idea!
Maybe in Bucks.

In London he may have a heavy clay soil, and laying the slabs direct could well be OK for just walking on.

But I agree it's a lazy bodge.

i think you are right about the clay soil as it is so toxic and hard that the grass won't grow on it which is why i am having to put the slabs down.

The garden I have now is all sand and pebbles nothing grows I have put slabs straight down, leveling them was easy because of the sand content.Been down 2 years now walking on them constantly.Would not try it with any other soil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back