Laying paving slabs direct onto earth

At the end of my garden I have a section for raised beds. I used old but very large paving slabs and put down new paths between the beds. I just levelled the earth and laid the slabs straight down. None have moved or sunk, but that will depend on your soil type. Ultimately the longer you spend doing a job, the better it will be.

Sponsored Links
I have some basic paths between my veg beds made from slabs on ~5cm sharp sand. Yes they do move, because the soil moves as it dries and wets. The only way to avoid that is to have a soil that does not move, or put a thick layer of ballast followed by sand followed by slabs. But for a basic path or patio, where you don't mind a rustic look, just put down some sand then slabs. If they move a bit, jump up and down to re-level. :D

You can put slabs on earth, but it is hard to level the earth if stony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back