laying paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if any of you good folk could give me a bit of advice?
i've moved into a house and have a little patio area with 500*500 paving slabs. The problem is they are all over the place, peaks and troffs all over. i've lifted acouple and whoever lay them had used sharp sand with aggregate in it onto soil. There is no hard core just the sharp sand and stones, which is about 60mm depth in parts. I want to lift the lot and start again, but not to sure how to lay them properly. Can i lay 30mm of ballast on soil and whack it then 15mm sharp sand and on top of that a 15mm mortar, or am i off the mark? Any advice would be much appreciated

ps. do you think i should hire a proper wacker plate or hit ballast with a spade or something?

cheers...

Sponsored Links
I don't want to sound harsh but your pretty far off the mark, What you need to do is checkout pavingexpert.com for the basics and then come back to this great forum for any specific queries you have.

Sponsored Links
r896neo i don't see anyone on this site helping this guy i am sorrey that i offended you

Its tricky to "help" if there's no real question posed - asking "how do I lay a patio?" is not really what most people who are keen to offer help consider the point of the forum.

I am not sure r896neo was having a go at you, rich, or anyone else.

chimpboy did you look at that web site
like water off a ducks back wobbitpoo
its ok i wasnt offended

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back