Laying Porcelain Tiles onto Concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone with experience in laying Porcelain tiles can guide me if this is a DIY job or not, the area is around 8 square meters and have had prices of up to £500 to just lay the tiles with no materials so am half tempted to give it a go my self!

They are quite large tiles (60 x 30) going on to a flat concrete base, have been watching youtube videos and it seems straight forward enough and seems patience is the key, just wondering if anyone has taken on a DIY job like this and how it went and if there's anything i need to look out for!

Cheers
Marc

Sponsored Links
I am a qualified tiler, one time DIYer. There is some technical skill required and having the right tools to do the job is also very helpful. You may find by the time you have purchased the required tools you could be taking a reasonable lump out of that £500.00.
But saying that at £62.50/m2, without supplying primers, adhesive and grout! Their quote is quite high, even high if they were supplying the above.
If you feel confident and a willing to learn by mistakes, go for it. Purchase a good cement based adhesive, as you as a novice stay away from rapid set and read the manufacturer instructions prior to starting. Grout lines of around 5mm would recommended.
Don't forget to plan your working area, you need set out so do not end up with unsightly or slither cuts. So measure the centre of the floor and plan from that point, generally looking to send up with a full or half tile at the central area. Keep you tiles and grout lines clean, get a rail and wet cutter for porcelain.

Thank you - do you recommend i tile straight onto the concrete floor or will i need to lay some sort of membrane first - seems to be all sorts of different opinions around!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back