LCD TV screen crackels and spits when CH boiler fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every time boiler refires up it happens.

Obviously due to the ignition (Oh bloody well is It smartass) If its something else do tell.

Can I stop it, at the tv plus socket with a suppressor or sumfink like old car radios (yes I'm that old)

Or do I have to get a Corgi ish man to sort my boiler electrics.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing you are using the digital tuner within the screen & the "spitting" is a momentary break up in signal caused by electrical interference, possibly due to insufficient aerial downlead screening.

What type of coax cable feeds the LCD?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

This would be particularly noticable if it's an oil fired boiler.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
1) Boiler + Tv approx 4m apart.

2) Its a gas boiler but no idea what type coax.

3) would a surge protector socket stop this spike, if it is a spike.

Thanks so far

Update;

Put a surge protector socket inline and partial success.

Strangely channels 1,2,3,4,5 still suffer picture breakup on boiler fireup, 5 being the worst.

Why do only the old analogue channel numbers? when its a digital freeview receiver is beyond me

Yes, all other channels are fine.

Its a harmonic given off by the boiler spark. This will cause interference to the TV as the harmonic will over-ride the signal youre meant to be receiving.

Depending on what channel youre watching, it can be more or less.

Get a high pass TV interference filter and put it inline with the antenna lead going into your TV/Freeview box and it should sort it.

The old analogue Pal signal doesn't have the error correction built in like digital does so any short lived break up or interference of the signal is more apparent with the Pal channels. With Pal it's a sort of what you receive you get, whereas digital receivers can correct some dropout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back