lead flashing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got a front porch that is against a rendered wall but the flashing is not correct and is leaking. Currently there is a bell cast at the bottom of the render and the flashing is just tucked up to underneath it. How should I do this properly? I will replace the lead but can I cut it into the render higher up above the bell cast? If I take the render off to cut the flashing into the bricks behind there would be a unsightly gap in the render line (it's goes up diagonally so would need to be stepped if I cut it into the brick). I don't think rendering over the lead would be a good idea to cover the gap. Easiest would be to cut a straight line in the render higher up but is this ok?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A few pics please, showing more roof to wall detail, esp where the wall /flashing meets the gutters.

The dark shading that follows the roof line above the flashing is a typical indication of damp in or behind the render. Has any remedial work been done besides the porch roof?

Where the flashing discharges into the guttering you need "kickout flashing" ( google it ) to stop water going over the gutter.

Working on that roof without a platform will be awkward, but anyhow, perhaps remove the in-place flashing, and clean and inspect the lead and the area. Post a close-up without the flashing.

Google details of how roof flashing goes up the wall a little and separate cover flashing comes down to cover it.

Then come back here. You might have to grind a slot above the bell cast and insert cover flashing.

Taking the flashing over the bell-cast would look a bit awkward.
Within reason, you can cement-render over lead flashing (my 1920s house has it with no problem).
This would avoid you having to do a stepped flashing. Mix a bit of PVA with your cement render mix, and coat the exposed lead with PVA in water. This helps it adhere better.
Suggest keep the flashing fairly narrow - say 3-4". Make sure it is tight against the wall, with no undue flexing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back