Lead flashing on leanto roof HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I am faced with a huge problem all of a sudden.
I am changing my lean to conservatory for a tiled roof which goes up to the window sill level on the first floor of the main house.
The main house is cavity concrete block with pebble dash, and I was under the impression that all i'll need to do is grind a slot above the new roof line and insert lead to cover the top of the new roof tiles. BUT...my building inspector has just been and gone after delivering a shock to me as well as a huge spanner in the works, he says I need to install cavity trays by taking rows of blocks out above the lead line, or the alternative it to clad the pebble dashed wall on the first floor to create a water barrier, this would mean cladding and rendering the entire first floor as well as lengthening the window sills.
Is my building inspector over the top and too keen? Can anyone suggest an alternative? it does not seem like I can argue this case with him.
This has come totally at the wrong time, I was ready to fit the rafters but now i need to possibly clad the first floor, while my conservatory/kitchen has nothing but a tarpaulin over it.

Help!!

Sponsored Links
Is there a problem at the moment with water penetration into the wall?

My guess is that BC can require an improvement because works to the wall are taking place, in the same way that roof improvements trigger a requirement for insulation to be upgraded to current bc standards.

Blup

I've had my conservatory there for 15 years with just a simple channel cut onto the wall where lead was inserted, and never had any damp problems whatsoever.
I have today hired a grinder to cut out a row of blocks as cladding is too expensive. But in my opinion I think fitting cavity trays is ott and doing the job itself riscs weakening the wall above the cut line. This is a nightmare

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back