lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just had my mock tudor board in front of my house replaced. After the contractor left, I found one small section of the flashing has popped up a bit. As shown in the photo. How do I adjust it to the original shape (round shape, close match to the tile)? using a hammer? Or can I just leave it ?
Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 144
Sponsored Links
Don't use a hammer. Use a bit of wood, the back edge of a hand brush or a broom handle from the gutter.

@woody, Thanks for your reply. I tried your method, but the flashing is very hard and not moving at all.

I see there is quite a bit length of tile beneath the flashing, so I suppose wind-driven rain (through the gap between the flashing and tile) would unlikely result in a leak?

Sponsored Links
Lead is extremely malleable, and will bend when hit with a stout piece of wood. Is it your technique?

Thanks again for your replies. I used the wooden handle of a small garden tool and didn't dare to use much force, in fear of breaking the tile. Maybe I should try a bigger piece of wood (e.g. a wood block) and user more force?

I will try this piece of wood.

Attachments

• IMG_2969.jpg
    IMG_2969.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 66
You don't really need to whack it, just tap it, and something like a 3x2 or 4x2 a foot long or so would be enough

I tried it again (keep hitting it with a piece of wood), but it still didn't bend. If I leave it for now, how likely there will be a leak in the future?

To properly adjust/repair the flashing, I guess the mock tudor board has to be removed first since the flashing is fixed to the bricks behind the board?

Many thanks for any advice.

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. I have another question. I see the Tudor board is screwed to the wall, so it must have screwed through the vertical drop of the flashing which is behind the board. Is it ok?

The original board was fixed like that although with a wooden dummy peg outside. Thanks

At a guess if you can not tap the flashing down it could have dirt or similar under it try raking under the flashing with a long handle scewdiver, decorators putty knife/ scraper

The two kinks will make it a bit more rigid. However it will dress down , even a piece of 2x1 will do. Try again square on. the tiles are quite strong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back