Lead Pipe Mains Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Renovating an old house, surveyor's report advises the replacement of the mains supply lead-pipe. Seems a little excessive to me, your opinions?
I'm assuming also that this is probably a significant piece of work, involving digging up the garden and so on?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
DavePrior said:
I'm assuming also that this is probably a significant piece of work, involving digging up the garden and so on?

I think you are right :LOL:
You have to dig down a min of 750 mm to lay the new pipe, not to mention the pleasure of getting the old pipe out :(

Is there anyway of lining a lead pipe with some sort of plastic inner?

nstreet : yes, there are ways of replacing buried pipework in-situ. for larger sizes, pipeline bursting is used where a 'pig' is forced through the existing pipe, tearing it apart as it goes, the pig pulls a plastic (mdpe) replacement pipe behind it.

Another method, used by water companies for smaller pipework is flexible liners. In this a very flexible liner (a bit like a very long condom) is pushed into the exposed end of the existing pipe and then compressed air is used to unfurl the liner until it comes out as a balloon at the far end. The balloon is then cut off and made off into a fitting.

Both of these are likely to be prohibitively expensive for a one-off.

I would be inclined to lay a new pipe and abandon the old one when the new service is live.

Well actually I would probably leave it exactly as it is, old lead pipework always has a barrier layer of oxide on the bore which does a pretty good job of stopping lead molecules being taken up in the water. It hasn't made me mad yet (opinions of others may differ in this respect).

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave! You have to apply to your water authority if you want to replace your lead pipe. You have to meet certain requirements before they make the new connection. I think your new plastic pipe has to be inside a 100mm plastic pipe and insulated, also you have to make good the old pipe by blocking it off. I don't know where you live, but United Utilities which covers my area have a website which gives the detail, which I assume will be similar in all areas.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I replaced all the taps in a house a couple of years ago and had to turn the street stopcock off to do it...turned them all back on after and hey presto, no water. Seems the empty pipe had been crushed outside. Anyway she called a guy out of the yellow pages who came and moled a new main in for £300 and severn trent came round the same afternoon and connected it up for free.

Thanks guys.

I'll check with Severn Trent regarding how and how much. Sounds like a lot of effort and expense to achieve very little.

Thanks again ! :)

DavePrior said:
Thanks guys.

I'll check with Severn Trent regarding how and how much. Sounds like a lot of effort and expense to achieve very little.

Thanks again ! :)

You may just find that you have too under planning consent, and in any case it should be done as part of the renovations, I don't know what your spending but a few extra quid now will be a job well done.

My usual advice on this is:-
If you have children under the age of ten get it done as it can affect their developement. If not then leave it until you get round to doing out the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back