Lead Seal in a Dormer Valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I have had endless trouble with a leaking roof in my house. Eventually, I was advised by a roofer to replace the rotton zinc valleys with lead ones. I got a price, which seemed reasonable considering the price of the lead. The guy said that actually he would not remove the zinc but instead he would put the lead on top. I did not see a problem with that. However, I was surpised when he did not actually run the lead up and under the existing verticle slates on the roof, instead he has butted the lead up against the wood work and put a seal down between the lead and the slate. The roofer assures me that this is up to standard, however I am not sure. Any roofers out there who can advise?

Please see a photograph attached below.

Lets be clear, I really want this to be an acceptable fix as I do not want trouble with roofers, but if it is not i do not want to pay him until it is done correctly.

Thank you in advance,

Al

Sponsored Links
That’s terrible, it should definitely have been taken vertically up behind the slates normally at least 6”. No excuse but maybe his price reflected that? Even if the seal was OK, any water that gets through the vertical slates is gonna wind up inside the building as it won’t be able to drain out. Awful workmanship, he should be ashamed of himself and reported to trading standards!

Completely unacceptable!
It will leak in no time, The vertical slates should have been stripped out.

definitely would not pay for that botch up.

Sponsored Links
As above, absolutley atrotious and dosent even need to be there.

Vertical slates should have been stripped out and lead soakered with a capping piece of 150mm lead

Thanks all.....Thankfully I didn't have over any money (and it was not cheap either).

Out of interest, can any provide information regarding if that lead was new or not? I am not convinced that it is new. Its the left hand side only.

Al

You`ve been had by a "traveller" who probably travelled from Ireland :cry: Lead is probably new but been mangled so much :rolleyes: They should stick to selling pegs and fixing pots ;)

To do quite a bit of other work, including supply the lead and refelt a section of the roof would be £1200. No money has exchanged hands!!!!!

After seeing the leadwork he has done i would not allow him to do any other work on your roof.
At a push i would give him the money for the lead, around £40 for a 3m roll code 4 225mm if thats what he has used.

OK, a futher update.........

I asked the so called roofer to provide me an invoice for the work. I said that on receipt of that, I would have the work inspected by a professional and if he qualifys the work as acceptable I will pay him without question. (I was safe in the knowledge that this work would not be classed as adequate).

He then told me that he would be over and would take back all the lead and felt and my roof would be left exposed. I said if you put a ladder on my house to do such a thing I will call the police. I have not refused to pay him, I am mearly asking for an invoice.

All of the above I have checked with Trading Standards and the Police actually, and they agree that I have done the right thing.

We will see what happens next............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back