Lead slates - for pipes going through roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so me gentle with me.

I need to get my soil pipe outside (through the roof). I'm going to use a 'lead slate' . . . a lead sheet with a lead tube coming out of it at an angle ( http://www.trademate.co.uk/ProductExtra/BRI0003/stdunislate_data.pdf ).

The leaflet in the link above talks about putting a 'welt' above the opening (which I understand is basically a couple of bends). . as far as I can see this is to stop water running down the surface of the lead sheet. As I'm using this on curvy pan tiles . . . . this 'welt' is going to be difficult, and will make the tiles stick up I believe . . . so I propose not to use a welt. Can anyone see this being a problem.

Is this all the weatherproofing I need (apart from the plastic thing that seals the plastic pipe to the lead pipe). I don't need one of those aluminium things I've seen with a rubber ring in the middle (which I feel are for flat slate roofs).

Thanks for any help.

Phil Johnson
PS - Any (reasonally price) structural engineers round here want some work?

Sponsored Links
Have you got concrete or clay pantiles?

If you have concrete it is easier to fit the manufacturer's vent tile which replaces one of the roof tiles.

If you have clay then the lead slate is the way to go and the welt at the top is belt and braces, but it is very easy to do you only have to fold the lead back on itself.

By the way, the plastic pipe goes through the lead slate it doen't seal to it.

Also you can get a lead 'flexi-slate' which has a neoprene centre which is generally more weatherproof

They are clay (old red) tiles.

Bought all the stuff at lunchtime. I'm going to silicone in place the plastic ring the sits on top of the lead slate.

Saw the other things you mentioned . . . . . liked them . . . but they looked a little flimsy . . . . this lead slate thing should provide a fair amount of support (in case a eagle fancies pearching on it ;) ).

Cheers
Phil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back