Lead water pipe replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken up my floor to provide access to trades for electrical work and gas pipe work. 1934 house has capped off gas pipes in the bedroom walls - more reliable to disconnect at the meter I'm told.

Getting the floor up has been a trauma as detailed in Removing laminate glued to ply glued to floorboards - nightmare.

Now the floor is up the presence of a lead supply pipe is confirmed.

I would really like to get all under-floor work done so that I can fit insulation and glue/screw replacement chipboard.

Does anyone know if there are any grants to help with replacing lead supplies to the meter? I'm with Thames Water if that makes a difference?

Given how far into the property the pipe emerges how would a replacement be routed? Presumably the original was laid at the time of the foundations and so came through/under them?
I guess a pit would have to be dug adjacent to the property and then a hole drilled through the underground brick work?

Thames water list contractors who can apparently self-certify the installation - is this worth paying for? Or should I ask a local plumber?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the bit from the meter to the house is your problem but talk to Thames, you might get lucky.
Up here the deal is if you dig a trench to your property boundary to their specs, run in new alkathene pipe and ensure that all lead water pipe in the house is disconnected they'll connect to their meter for free
Bad news for you, trench spec is 900mm deep..... not sure what the required depth would be under the house, check with Thames

Sponsored Links
I googled "moling" and got a firm to do it. Sent the invoice to water Co (sarf east) who gave me a couple of hundred credit.
Read more https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/lead-pipe-supply.552762/

They certainly didn't go down the regulation depth but it was deeper than the lead was.
Whatever, don't care. Have safe water, it was cheap. Better flow as well

Very useful. Thanks.

I'll get some quotes to replace from the meter. At a minimum I'll replace what's visible in the picture as I can then move the kitchen stop-cock at the same time.

Thames Water were of no help. They offer no subsidy and will charge upto £500 to turn up and connect my new pipe to the meter.

I've got one quote in so far for thrust bore moling. It made me wince a tad. Waiting for another quote before the end of the week. If I do go ahead with this i'd like to get maximum benefit so that I have no regrets after parting with a wad of cash.

The quote is for replacement with 25mm MDPE pipe, 110mm Twinwall ducting & 90mm insulation, new lever valve, double check valve & drain off.

Would I benefit at all from a bigger pipe considering it'll be reduced to 22/15mm inside the property? Is the bigger pipe substantially more expensive? Will the meter even accept a bigger pipe?

Thanks all.

Last one first- don't worry about the DPM, easy enough to seal round the new pipe with any number of different compounds.
Thames- which option did you go for, new connection? Their website has a section for 'removing lead within your boundary' which implies they'll do the boundary to meter bit free, but since your plan is to leave the lead in the ground that may be why they can charge you for it.
Pipe gauge- depends how far the meter is from your pipework and what dynamic pressure/flow is available at the meter. Up to 20 metres and 3 bar/30l/min 25mm will be fine, more than 20 metres or pressure/flow much lower the next size up may be worth a look. Whichever you go for you'll notice a massive improvement from the lead.

I'm not sure I understand what you're proposing. The normal way to do this is a complete replacement of the lead from the street main to your kitchen sink (or your side of the meter if the water provider has already replaced their communication pipe) not bits of it. I presume Thames have already confirmed that they have replaced their communication pipe hence you're not eligible for their scheme? Seems a bit stingy that they won't make the connection of your new mdpe to the meter but it's simple plumbing. I believe there's a product called an insuduct that will raise the pipe from 750mm outside to allow it to pass inside on top of your oversite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back