Leak around chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am after a bit of advice please, we have recently decorated a back bedroom but have just discovered a water mark on the stud wall next to a chimney breast.
20201227_103939.jpg

We used to get mould in this corner which we put it down to the large amount of condensation we got in this room (now fixed after fitting a PIV unit).

I have been in the loft and the batton next to the breast looks wet but only on at the bottom of it.
20201227_105719.jpg

I know i need to get a roofer out but wanted to see if you guys could give me some ideas of what the possible issues could be beforehand?
Also if possible what sort of costs you would be looking at in the Midlands area?
I am not very clued up when it comes to roofing, so don't want to get ripped off.

Also should there be an air vent in a chimney breast?
There is a black cover on the outside wall down stairs which has been siliconed shut but no other vents visible inside or out.

20201227_110237.jpg
20201227_110602.jpg

I would like to get on the roof and have a look but due to a neighbours car port I cannot get up to the roof this side, I would have to get on the opposite side and walk over the roof which I dont feel confident about.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You have a leaking lead back gutter behind the chimney - that plate was a cleaning hatch for when the chimney had a solid fuel boiler in the kitchen . On the top of the stack is an old gas flue terminal - if you don't have an old gas boiler @ the bottom of the flue. In the kitchen . Then the best solution would be to drop the top of the chimney and roof over the void . Scaffold over the carport, access from your side and the chimney can be taken down a brick at a time .If you still have an old flued gas boiler in the kitchen - time for a new one ;) P.S no need for a roofer - a good jobbing builder will do.

You have a leaking lead back gutter behind the chimney - that plate was a cleaning hatch for when the chimney had a solid fuel boiler in the kitchen . On the top of the stack is an old gas flue terminal - if you don't have an old gas boiler @ the bottom of the flue. In the kitchen . Then the best solution would be to drop the top of the chimney and roof over the void . Scaffold over the carport, access from your side and the chimney can be taken down a brick at a time .If you still have an old flued gas boiler in the kitchen - time for a new one ;) P.S no need for a roofer - a good jobbing builder will do.

Thank you for the reply, really like the idea of removing the stack and tiling over.

I will have to ring some builders and see what sort of lead times I am looking at.

Any ideas on a temporary fix from the inside?
Just incase they can't do the work quickly

Sponsored Links
I have got a quote of £850 to remove the stack to below the tiles and tile over.
They are also going to cap our main chimney and repoint some of our ridge tiles which have mortar missing, does this sounds like a reasonable price?

Regarding the main chimney being capped, what are peoples thoughts on this?
We don't use the fire place and keep getting birds nesting in it, so thought we would cap it, remove the old fire and use it as a media centre or even brick it up.
But I have been reading and some people are against capping it as it can cause condensation issues.

850 is a good price, if he's your usual guy I wouldn't bother getting more quotes.
Your obviously happy with his work before and it's peace of mind knowing you're dealing with someone you know
Someone may do it for 800 and be a pain in the backside

850 is a good price, if he's your usual guy I wouldn't bother getting more quotes.
Your obviously happy with his work before and it's peace of mind knowing you're dealing with someone you know
Someone may do it for 800 and be a pain in the backside

Thank you for the Reply,

Unfortunately ever used them before i got his number from check a trade.com

Just had a second quote of £500, the only difference being instead of capping the main chimney he wanted to put a cover on it to stop the birds and water. (We did use this guy a long time ago but it was only to relay a flat roof).
Also he can't do it for a few weeks.

So now I'm questioning both quotes as that is a massive price difference.

If you've used the new quoter before and he's busy it's not a bad sign
Use your discretion I reckon mate
It's a two man job can be done in a day what is access like?
It's not a complicated process if you wanted to erect a scaffold and do it yourself if you're confident with DIY
Chimneys are like sponges and if they're not in use I'd always recommend getting shot of them

If you've used the new quoter before and he's busy it's not a bad sign
Use your discretion I reckon mate
It's a two man job can be done in a day what is access like?
It's not a complicated process if you wanted to erect a scaffold and do it yourself if you're confident with DIY
Chimneys are like sponges and if they're not in use I'd always recommend getting shot of them

The guy we used before was recommended to us by a carpenter we know so I like to think we could trust him, its just the low price completely shocked me and made me question it.

They both said they would need scaffolding due to our neighbours garage and car port (the first guy wanted £350 just for the scaffold).

I normally give most jobs a go myself but to be honest I'm not sure i have the confidence to work on the roof.

Thank you for your help

P.S out of curiosity what are your thought on having a sealed cap on the main chimney or having a mesh style cap on it?
Are they as good as each other or should I keep away from one

Cheers and sorry for all the questions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back