Leak detection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anybody know what a reasonable price is for leak detection. I've had a few quotes which range from £475 to over £600. I don't know anybody who has had this, so not sure what a reasonable price is. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
check your home insurance policy , many include this , they will pay to trace the leak but not many race to repair the leak, unless it is accidentual damage

check your home insurance policy , many include this , they will pay to trace the leak but not many race to repair the leak, unless it is accidentual damage
Good point. I am covered for track and trace

If the 'track and trace' on your insurance find the leak is in an inaccessible part of the house, they will then past it over to your building insurance department which will involve you paying any excess you have.

Andy

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I do that for a living and mostly on insurance jobs.

If the leak isn’t visible we first have a listen with the listening stick to try and locate it.

If we can’t find it with that we usually chose to dig at the boundary or point of entry. From the hole we would hope to be able to get an inflatable leak detector or pipe mic into the pipe to locate the leak.

Once we dig on the leak it’s a bit like car insurance. If there’s accidental damage it’s covered, if it’s corroded then it’s wear and tear and not covered.

I think the initial trace and access is about £480.

I do that for a living and mostly on insurance jobs.

If the leak isn’t visible we first have a listen with the listening stick to try and locate it.

If we can’t find it with that we usually chose to dig at the boundary or point of entry. From the hole we would hope to be able to get an inflatable leak detector or pipe mic into the pipe to locate the leak.

Once we dig on the leak it’s a bit like car insurance. If there’s accidental damage it’s covered, if it’s corroded then it’s wear and tear and not covered.

I think the initial trace and access is about £480.
The leak is on his CH system

With domestic internal pipework the water is drained and filled with a tracer gas containing a small quantity of hydrogen or helium gas.
Having the smallest molecules the gas easily perculates through concrete/tiles etc and can be detected by sniffer test equipment.
Many years ago I thought of adding this service to my business...but the setup costs are staggering.
I would estimate 95% of leaks I come across are in accessible places and nearly always on radiators valves/joints etc.

With domestic internal pipework the water is drained and filled with a tracer gas containing a small quantity of hydrogen or helium gas.
Having the smallest molecules the gas easily perculates through concrete/tiles etc and can be detected by sniffer test equipment.
Many years ago I thought of adding this service to my business...but the setup costs are staggering.
I would estimate 95% of leaks I come across are in accessible places and nearly always on radiators valves/joints etc.
Hi, ive had tissue around all the valves to see if they get damp. No signs of any drips under the radiators or visible pipes. Im going to get a leak detection carried out, hopefully then I'll know if im dealing with one or two leaks :(. Thanks for your advice :)

What boiler make/model?
What makes you think there's a leak?
Pull all the radiator caps off and unscrew the TRV heads for a start.

It's a Baxi eco. Its fairly new aa we replaced it due to the old one loosing pressure. The pressure is still constantly dropping, slowly but still dropping. Not sure if there's any connection but there are now signs of blown plaster in the kitchen. I had a damp survey yesterday and he thinks there's a leak under the kitchen floor. The floor is concrete so im assuming that there won't be any heating pipes under there. Im guessing there may be 2 unrelated leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back