Leak from bath waste system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My smoke alarm went off in the kitchen this morning which led me to find the leaks under the bath!

The first leak was coming from the drain hole which was straight forward to fix as it required just a few turns of the bolt on the strainer.

The second leak is coming from the plastic compression nut. Unfortunately I can only tighten it so much before it loosens itself (is that normal?) but still leaks.

leak-jpg.95962

I haven't had time to take it apart as I'm off to work but is there something I can buy in my lunch hour (not far from Homebase and similar shops) to remedy this? I'm guessing there's a seal in there that could be replaced, if so are they sold separately and what size do I need? Should I buy a whole unit since I can only tighten it so much?

I've got some Fernox LS-X sealer somewhere, should I use that as well?

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Attachments

• Leak.jpg
    Leak.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 12,889
Sponsored Links
There's a rubber ring gasket on the water trap there - spares of which are available from the big sheds or Homebase or whatever.
Yours will be 40mm.
John :)

If it tightens and then goes loose it sounds like the threads on one part have stripped

One of the problems you sometimes come across is that the overflow connection (to the right on your photo) is so near the end of the main waste thread that it prevents the trap nut fully tightening and getting sufficient compression on the seal ring. ie incompatibility of fittings

Sponsored Links
If it tightens and then goes loose it sounds like the threads on one part have stripped
Okay, so if it goes loose after tightening it then that's not normal, thanks for that.

I assume then it will be the compression nut and/or the black pipe that has a stripped thread. My plan is now to buy a new seal and nut, if that doesn't work then I'll have to get a new black pipe.

Thanks again.

If it tightens then clicks and goes loose again then the threads are stripped on either the shallow traps compression fitting or on the bath waste as Dave mentions. A quick temp repair would be some PTFE and then just nip it up but a replacement will need to be fitted.

Almost certain it'll be the bah waste that's at fault. Some of the imported plastic plumbing fittings are junk and do not match the UK standard threads. "bargain" baths and sinks which come with a bag of such fittings are almost guaranteed to be a mismatch to UK fittings.

Just to say thanks for all your help and advice.

I bought the rubber ring gasket as advised by Burnerman, cost me a staggering 36p but I can live with that. Wrapped a load of PTFE round the thread as advised by
[URL='//www.diynot.com/diy/members/madrab.193949/']Madrab
and after a few days of showering, no leaks whatsoever.[/URL]
I had bought a couple of kits ready in case I had to replace the whole lot but no need at the moment so I'll take them back. The guy at Leyland was scratching his head a bit as he was looking at the photo of my fittings and thought they weren't the standard type so Jackrae could be right about them being imported junk!

Also pulled out a head's worth of wife hair out of the U part (yuk!) so now drains better as well.

Thanks again.

//www.diynot.com/diy/members/jackrae.196187/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back