Leak from Mixer Valve on Range Flowmax water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have just returned from holidays to find a leak coming from our hot water tank in the airing cupboard. I had a plumber out yesterday and he replaced an O ring where the leak appeared to be coming from but yesterday evening the leak stared up again and I can see it's coming from the mixer valve (thermostatic valve?).

Sadly, I am sceptical about calling the guy from yesterday because he seemed to suggest that I might get a problem from the mixer valve and he told me you can't get this valve any more as it's obselete and would potentially need to replace the whole tank (at about £2000!). A coincidence that it's gone wrong now? Maybe I'm just synical but I'm also just being cautious.

The tank is a Range Flowmax and whilst the sticker showing information is ripped, I think the product reference number is either 4661 or 4651.

I wondered if anyone can give me some advice as to
A) What the problem may be and how I can resolve it?
B) If I need to replace the mixer valve, where is it best to obtain it from?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If its the blending valve you are referring to then it can be replaced. Post a pic if you can. Contact Range for them to provide a part and fitting is simple if you follow the basics.

I can only suggest you contact Range for a part number and then try to source from your local parts centre. I think they are made by Oventrop.
Not cheap though.
Is it leaking from under the brass cover?

Sponsored Links
Is it going to be a definite case of having to replace it or is there some kind of seal that could be the issue?

(I've contacted Range and can get the part for £102 delivered).

Replace rather than repair. I've not heard of a repair kit. Cannot Range advise on that?

No I didn't ask. To be honest, for the cost involved, I would sooner replace the whole valve otherwise sods law says something else will go faulty on it in a months time.

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back