leak from tap for washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have new washing machine arriving and am trying to remove old built in one. Old one is hot and cold fill so have succesfully disconected red hose from hot water supply by turning red knob, taking off hose and capping with brass nut.

However I have tried same with cold but a lot of water is coming from either the hose or water supply despite turning off the blue knob.

Is it likely that the blue knob isolating the incoming supply has failed or is it more likely that the hose to the machine has a lot of water in it. I have tried turning the mains supply off to the property but it does not seem to stop the flow?

Sponsored Links
The old tap is probably not shutting off properly. If it has not been turned for many years it might be jammed. A good tip is never to open a tap hard against the stop; open it fully, them back it off half a turn. This reduces the risk of jamming. You could try taking off the plastic head and turning the spindle with an adjustable spanner that is a good fit on the flats.

I suggest you:

(1) buy a new washing machine tap
(2) turn off the stopcock supplying the house
(3) run the cold tap(s) until water stops coming out

This should remove both the pressure, and most of the residual water in the pipes

Then cautiously slacken the hose connector again. If is is now nearly emty, let the remainder drain into a bucket, remove the old and and fit the new washing machine tap

It sounds like you have two issues here....
1) The blue turn lever isn't actually turning the ball in the washing machine valve
2) Either the stop cock isn't the correct one or it too is having a bad day.....its not unusual for them to lose their washer but the flow should reduce considerably if not actually stop.
For the first one, take off the blue knob (1 screw) and see if you can turn the rectangular stub with some pliers. Carefully does it......
As for the stopcock it could be a matter of isolating the property in the street so it can be attended to.
John :)

Sponsored Links
sorry, my "backing off" idea only works if it is a tap with a washer in it (these are more likely to jam), of course you may have the more modern ball-o-fix valves which are much smaller and only have a quarter turn each way.

Thanks guys for all your help.

It was the blue tap - removed the screw and took it off and it was cracked so turning it did not actually do anything. Isolated with pliers and now all unplumbed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back