Washing machine hose leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just had a new washing machine from John Lewis. Came with the cold fill hose already attached to machine which I screwed onto the cold water feed. All has been Ok for a week but today noticed a pool of water in cupboard where cold fill supply is.

The white screw threaded attatchment on hose felt a bit wet as did the hose it'self just above the attachment.

I have taken off the hose and screwed it back on and all seems ok (although I have not run the machine).

Do you think I just did not screw it on tight enough (it was hand tight but I am afraid to over tighten).

Is it likely that the hose it'self could be faulty.

Also do you recomend isolating the supply by closing the little blue tap between washes.

Sponsored Links
Remove hose from washing machine and pour some washing up liquid onto the washer and refit.

This happens all of the time, the rubber washer grips before it is completely water tight. By pouring washing up liquid on the washer, it will give you that extra 1/4 of a turn.

Andy

as above, but also wrap ptfe tape on the thread of the cold tap which the hose screws onto. Wrap it round about 8 times and all should be fine. You can pick a roll of this up for about 50 from any DIY shop.

Sponsored Links
Ageing fill hoses tend to crack around the metal ferrule where it meets the plastic connector, I find.....shouldn't be the case in this one though.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back