Leak from Vaillant Turbomax - please help

I'll have a look tomorrow, thanks ChrisR. Please hang around, I might need someone to hold my hand ...

Sponsored Links
A reasonable independent might charge something like £84 which is far cheaper that the big firms like BG.

Age UK used to have a few names of trusted people they gave out. The local ones used to give out mine.

Tony

BG will charge you £89 for less than an hours work
aroune 229 if takes between 1 to 2 hours

your proberly better off getting a local firm to take a look at it as it could be a...

leaking pump
DHW heat exchanger
diverter valve again!
flow switch
a hydrolic connection
automatic air vent

so no you cant take an educated guess at what it might be as it could be any of the above

BG will charge you £89 for less than an hours work
aroune 229 if takes between 1 to 2 hours

it could be a...

a hydrolic connection

So its £89 for 59 min work and £229 for 61 min? Thats a small step for BG but a big step for the customer!

Whats the hydrolic thing?

Sponsored Links
A reasonable independent might charge something like £84 which is far cheaper that the big firms like BG.

Age UK used to have a few names of trusted people they gave out. The local ones used to give out mine.

Tony
why use too :LOL:

Hello guys, thank you so much for all your ideas.

The problem has been solved, fixed, and cost me nothing. EAGA sent out an engineer who found that the washer in the cap on the air outlet had become squashed and was no longer doing its job. He scrunched up a bit of PTFE tape, whacked it in the cap, and BINGO! no leak! Better than paying BG or Vaillant their exorbitant prices. I am very happy, the gas engineer said my boiler is in good condition and should last for many a long year, which should see me out.

Thanks again, you are all diamonds.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He's bodged it. The auto air vent cap is supposed to be left loose to allow trapped air to vent and prevent dust ingress.

Since he's now closed the vent he has now prevented air to be vented from the boiler.

Call them back to replace the AAV. It's a £5.00 part and 10 minute job.

Hi,
I think ChrisR has probably nailed it.. If the systems been drained, and re-pressured, it's mostly likely to be the Auto Air Vent on the pump. Especially as it appears to be on the right hand side.
I worked for Vaillant, and the bloody things would always leak after a drain and refill. However, you can remove the cap, and rinse the float and valve under a tap, if you're in deep-do-do, which sometimes works, but it's just easier, and more reliable to replace the part. They're about £15-£30 depending on where you source the parts.
You really need to get someone to look at it though...
Hope that helps a bit, but we're all making educated guesses without seeing inside the unit..
Mark

The system was never drained. The water was not turned off at the mains either. When the radiator was put in all they did was go through the house and bled them all.

I will post a photo I took of the boiler's inside when the EAGA inspector came to check the work - and pronounced it good. He said he had worked for Vaillant too. The pump and cap are on the right.

You have all got me really scared now.

Dear matahari u have been mugged by an engineer doin a hodge repair the idiot has now blocked the auto vent an I suspect he knew exactly what he was doing! That's y Vaillant charge they do the job properly insist he comes back an changes the auto vent :eek:

I buy these auto air vents for about £4.00

Vaillant just use the top cover and float from a standard 1/2 Caleffi.

Just split the AAV with a couple of pump pliers.

You are all so helpful. This is a wonderful site.

VaillantMark, if you tried to reply to my message you probably couldn't as my settings were wrong. It should be all right now.

I have another visit by an EAGA engineer today! Just to be sure, here is a pic of the innards of my boiler. The leak was coming from that small black cap on the upper right (above what looks like a brass disc), that is what was tightened. Is that the cap to te AAV you have all been telling me about, that is meant to be kept LOOSE?

DSC02423.jpg
[/img][/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back