Leak in ensuite bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice please.

I've notice quite an ugly watermark on the ceiling in one of the bedrooms which is situated downstairs. The room above that is the ensuite to the mater bedroom - I am assuming there is a leak of some sort going on up there. The ceiling is not wet or damp to the touch and certainly no water is dripping from it. My worry is the floor upstairs is tiled and I am concerned that the tiles will all have to be taken up - can the leak be looked at by cutting into the ceiling on the basis that is only plasterboard and I would have thought easier to replace.

Am not a plumber or in any way knowledgable about DIY so if this seems a daft question appologies in advance!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Can the leak be looked at by cutting into the ceiling on the basis that is only plasterboard and I would have thought easier to replace. :?:

Yes you can do this but you will probably have to have the whole ceiling plastered to get it looking right. :(

Sponsored Links
try the plug hole, see if its tight or cracked.

my own bath leaked after a while, plug hole loose.- changed plug hole

my mothers bath it split around the plug hole- new bath

glf - do you have a bath in there, have you removed the bath panel to check waste/trap, tap connectors for leaks. Do the waste pipes (or H&C water) run under the floor. Do you have access under shower tray to check? Do all this before thinking about attacking the ceiling below.

Sometimes ceiling entry is the only option but don't 'hack' your way in. Try to guage roughly where the wastes/traps are upstairs by measuring, only cut a small inspection hole throught he plaster board (buy a cheap holesaw for an electric drill from B&Q - maybe 100mm dia). Save the plasterboard disc - you'll need it for after! Attempt to diagnose to problem through this peep-hole with a torch; it should also be big enough to get hand in for a bit of feeling around for wet or to tighten-up trap, etc.
If that fixes the problem put the plasterboard disc back in the hole and fill any gaps; support the disc with a length of wood which bridges the hole, Gripfil at each end & screwed through the plasterboard. Ditto the disc.

If you need a bigger hole use a plasterboard saw (stab saw) to cut away the plasterboard; repair in the same way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back