Leak through bath sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rented out property. The bathroom is upstairs and water seems to be coming through the sealant and has damaged the kitchen ceiling. I will be replacing the ceiling soon and want to fix the leak issue too. It seals that the bath lowers on the wall side, when someone stands in it. I was thinking of gluing a window PVC trim from the wall to the bath edge. This will give added angle for water to flow back into the bath and not stand on the edge. Do you guys think this will work? And would it look bad? The trims look fine around UPVC windows and I think might not look that bad.

Can you guys give any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem. Poor DIY install of acrylic bath in my house when I bought it, which combined with a power shower leaked profusely.

So I fixed a piece of wood along the wall under the rim of the bath to stop it dropping, and also wedged some tightly fitting wooden blocks under the chipboard bath base.

To be on the safe side, I filled the bath with water to weigh it down whilst I applied the silicone sealant and left it full until the sealant dried. I put some cling film over the plug hole before inserting the plug to stop the water leaking away.

To date, it has not leaked a drop for 15 years. I know because we use the under bath area for storage.

I'm not sure about your suggestion, if the bath is dropping, I think you may still get water running under the trim, depending on the shape and slope of the edge of the bath.

I'd check the state of the joists/flooring under the bath too. If water has been leaking for a long time, it could have started these rotting as well. ;) ;)

I like your solution and will look into that. With the trim, I am planning on creating a slope of around 15 - 20 degrees (straight into the bath). I will also use sealant behind the trim and at the front to be extra safe. Might use the wood at the base and use the trim also.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back