Water leaking from side of bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The sealant along the side of my bath came away, and water has leaked down and is coming through the ceiling and walls.

I have a dehumidifier drying it out. Do I just wait until dry and then stainblock and paint? Or should I be concerned with damage and/or mould?

View media item 93876 View media item 93877

Sponsored Links
Mould only grows in the presence of moisture so once dry it will be fine - just paint over it

When you re seal the bath ensure you clean the mating surfaces prior to applying new sealant and half fill the bath with water while the sealant goes off, otherwise all that will happen is the weight of the water from normal use pulling the sealant away again

OK, so this all came to a head on Friday when more wet patches appeared, and then water started dripping down the light and into the centre of the room!

Called out an emergency plumber and we isolated the problem to a slow leak in a connection from the bath to the shower that was installed 18 months ago.

The plumber said that the metal ball valve was not suitable for the plastic pipe used. I am now in an argument with the company who installed the shower, and they are saying that because it is outside of their 12 month guarantee they are not responsible. This seems preposterous to me since surely a joint should be good for more than 12 months!!!

Opinions please on this joint:

View media item 94081
The emergency plumber reckons that the metal ball valve crushes the pipe and so it is nearly impossible to get a good seal. Right now, it is still leaking slowly (hence the pot underneath).

Sponsored Links
It's a Latent Defect. You have six years from the date the work was completed, or three years from discovery to make your claim against the installer.

You ought to be able to use compression fittings (as on your service valve) on plastic pipe, provided ferrules are inserted.

Possibly one of the fittings wasn't done correctly.

Cheers
Richard

I think this is the problem, ferrules weren't used.

The Latent Defect law is interesting - does this definitely apply here?

The Latent Defect law is interesting - does this definitely apply here?
Yes it was on "Money Box Live", BBC rad 4 this afternoon, very similar plumbing problem.
Frank

Some more advice please, if you don't mind...

We are now taking the plumber to court over the incorrectly fitted joint, to recover costs incurred for emergency plumbing work, and restoration of damaged and discoloured plasterboards and ceiling.

We believe the joint had been leaking slowly since the installation (about 15 months prior). The plumber is arguing it only started leaking recently, and that there have been 2 winters since installation of the joint, and therefore ambient temperature changes would have caused the leak from expansion and contraction.

Surely this is outrageous that anyone can justify a leaking joint within such a timeframe? I just would like to know other people's opinions though.

make sure that you have good evidence from the independent guy that the pipe inserts were missing.
Why, though, are you not just using your insurance to sort it out?

Why should I use my insurance and therefore pay my excess and have my premium go up when it is the fault of the plumber? Also there is a limit to what I can claim on my insurance, i.e. the emergency plumber would not be completely covered.

Also, why should it matter if I have that evidence or not - it is clear the joint was not installed correctly since it was leaking.

Yes of course I do. However, I am prepared to put my faith in the justice system and I will have to take it on the chin if they rule against me. Before I get to that point though, I just wanted to know others opinions of the plumbers statement about the weather causing the leak.

Well, it's hardly plastic guttering that gets baked in summer highs and frozen in winter lows. The temperature of the joint shouldn't vary much due to the weather because the living conditions inside a house are more temperate than those experienced outside..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back