Leak under Heat Exchanger (boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Worcester Heatslave 26/32 oil fired combi working well for 20 years (apart from odds and sods over the years)

Now got water leak on floor under r/h side of main heat exchanger (boiler). Checked every joint - all dry and dusty, every entrance to boiler - 3 at front, 2 at back r/h checked and dry.

2 days ago found pool of water under r/h side of boiler with pressure at zero. Topped up water to 1 bar and fired up. All ok with HW but when CH, water leak starts until back to almost zero. Currently working on HW and CH but on atmospheric pressure only. (I know - not the thing to do, but it's cold and all the safety's work). When leak occurs - always under R/H side of boiler (but no joints on that side). Insulation wrapping shows no signs of dampness anywhere. My local plumber suggesting boiler itself rusted through but since this is built from 1/4 inch plate steel (similar to Titanic plumbing) very dubious at spending £6k (suggested price) without finding leak first.

Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone recognise the symptoms? I can't be the first person to have this.

Currently sitting there with all panels off - just found slow drip at back r/h corner - both joints above dry.

Sponsored Links
Mains pressure. Entry at top right blanked off.

Any idea if there's any other possible leak points underneath the insulation on the back?

Just looked again at R/H bottom entry (currently fitted with drain) with mirror - welding around back of joint to boiler has lime starting halfway up join to boiler so indication is joint failing.

Question - can this be re-welded? (if welder can ever get to it)

Sponsored Links
Very common problem we replace at least one worcester combi a month often more.
Normally heat store goes first.
I've welded oil boilers in past where leak is easily accessed if you can't get at it I wouldn't bother.

Very common problem we replace at least one worcester combi a month often more.
Normally heat store goes first.
I've welded oil boilers in past where leak is easily accessed if you can't get at it I wouldn't bother.
Obviously know Worcester combi's. It's a tiny leak from the 'flange weld'. Can this be welded with arc - does it need special rods?

If you can get at it any welding method you like will do its just mild steel.
They do have a nasty habit of leaking elsewhere fairly quickly.

If you can get at it any welding method you like will do its just mild steel.
They do have a nasty habit of leaking elsewhere fairly quickly.
OK, Ta for that. So Plumbers Mait won't work then :) OK, cupboards coming out tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back