Leak under toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small leak under my toilet cistern, flusher unit replaced by a plumber within the last 12mths, which looks like it could be the joint between the pipe and the flusher unit.

For some reason my wife thought it was a good idea to use sealant to try and stop the leak. This have not helped at all and I can't really call the plumber back now.

Please take a look at the pictures I've included and advise me how best to repair this leak.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20220912_054745.jpg
    20220912_054745.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20220912_054754.jpg
    20220912_054754.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220912_054812.jpg
    20220912_054812.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220912_054820.jpg
    20220912_054820.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
I have these grips - see picture. I didn't want to go ahead with trying to tighten the nut as it's plastic and didn't want to break it. I could try though.

I don't expect the seal to need replacing as the flusher unit was new.

Attachments

• 20220912_075223.jpg
    20220912_075223.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Yes, those should be ok.

There is also no piont in asking about a toilet leak if you are not prepaired to try and fix it with the advice given.

Andy

I'm a good but now retired plumber.
If you slacken off the nut 3or 4 turns, then tightly wrap some PTFE tape (5 or 6 turns) around the thread in the gap created between the nut and the cistern then just tighten the nut back up again (almost 100% sucess rate).

You'll have to turn the water off first and empty the cistern and the worst job is getting that horrible mastic off!!

Hold the syphon still with your left hand and place the grips on the nut and turn to the right of the cistern, just turn 1/8-1/4 and then check for leaks. You should be able to 'feel' when it is tight enough.

Don't forget the nut you are tightening up is upside down so you are doing it up.

Also, don't forget, you are a Gladiator!

Andy

Tried to tighten the plastic nut. Still leaking.
I've removed the flusher and I'm going to get some pfe tape
The plumber had used a tiny amount of white compound to seal the thing. Obviously the did a shoddy job

I would turn off the water to the cistern and as per servotech, remove all compound and silicone, inspect the rubber seal and if in good condition reuse and try again.

Get a tub of Plumbers Mait. Smear that on both sides of the rubber seal, enough that when it is assembled and tightened, that it is squeezed out. Rather than using a spanner on the nut, simply press down on top of the syphon with one hand, compressing the seal - that should allow you tighten the nut up with the fingers of your other hand.

Tried the tape and the plumbers mate /putty
No joy. Still leaking. Run out of ideas and patience, so I'll have to get a plumber to visit.

Thank you to everyone who has helped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back