Leakin Bottle Trap Problem

S

Shutpa

I fitted a bottle trap a couple of weeks back and because nobody, including me, had apparantly filled the sink with the plug in place, we didn't know that it leaked big time. I tried everything I could think of but eventually gave up and called a plumber. He tried everything too from tape to plumbers mait to LSX and mastic without success. He suggested that there was a rubber ring missing which would tighten the unit (which was very slack) and at the same time stop the leak.
When he had gone, I found the MIs online here:

http://www.burlingtonbathrooms.com/images/upload/instructions/VQ-I-W14-B-page1-B.pdf

.........and there is no rubber ring shown where the plumber thought that there should be one, namely, between the adjuster nut and the plastic bottle below which is not labelled in the diagram.

Apart from dumping the thing, is there anything I can do from stopping water spurting out of the top of the adjuster nut.

PS Others have had the same problem and I did read of one guy who found that the only remedy was to remove the plastic bottle from the trap.

Sponsored Links
These things are always a bit of a problem. I've never fitted one yet where I have not had to sod a bout a bit to stop it leaking. especially the chrome ones. If you have tried and the plumber tried, I can only suggest binning it and going for a different make

These things are always a bit of a problem. I've never fitted one yet where I have not had to sod a bout a bit to stop it leaking. especially the chrome ones. If you have tried and the plumber tried, I can only suggest binning it and going for a different make

My wife has just suggested that :D

As described they can be a nightmare to seal. Usuall they have a clear chamfered shaped sealing ring on the trap stem where it is inserted into the main bottle to allow for extension to fit.

Pete

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back